my-log: past

OUR CHILDHOOD WAS PRETTY MUCH NORMAL

OUR CHILDHOOD WAS PRETTY MUCH NORMAL. Y/n and I are 6 years apart, but we've been close since I was born. Growing up, our parents were very involved in our lives. We were well off, and lived in a high class neighborhood. We didn't really get along with the children in our town though, but it didn't matter because we had each other.

Y/n was always the book smart sibling. She had exceptional grades, and was always the top of her class throughout elementary and middle school. She was treated as the gifted kid, and was often rewarded by our parents for her accomplishments.

I on the other hand, am a bit different. I'm smart when it comes to more creative things. I've been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember. Creating models and sculpting, things like that. I was often praised for the expressional pieces I was able to make from my young mind.

We never faced any hardships, y/n and I. I think that's why, in the future, when we did encounter a challenge or anything remotely stressful, y/n broke down and self-destructed. But we'll get into that later.

Our mother claimed to be a travel nurse. She wasn't home most of the time, but she was still present in our lives just enough for us to love and idolize her. She taught y/n to cook, sew and crochet, wash clothes, do dishes, and do hair. Mother taught me manners, how to read, how to speak properly, how to display my emotions and to care for others, and to sit pretty. Mother always teased me for being such a beautiful boy, more so than her little brother was when they were kids.

Our dad said he was a lawyer. He was strict when he needed to, but was an overall lovable father. He taught y/n how to be firm and confident in her responses to people who disrespect her. Honestly, he might be the reason she talks do blandly sometimes!! Dad taught me how to play many sports, when to be kind to the women of the house, how to lounge on the couch, and other silly things.

We loved our parents...We did...

Rumors started to circulate about them when we turned 6 and 12. People were saying that our parents had gained their wealth unfairly through gambling, bootlegging, and other illegal activities. Others said they were involved in the underground drug world and in the black market. These rumors became so popular, that even kids at school were asking us if it was true...

It was on a Monday night. I think I had just turned 8. Y/n was 14. I had stayed home from school because I had gotten a brutal sickness. I could barely leave my bed to use the bathroom.

Both of our parents were home as well. Or at least I'm pretty sure they were. Since I was sick, my memory of that night are a bit foggy.

Y/n was headed home from school. She had stayed till around 6 in the evening for a student council meeting. At around 6:30, I smelled burning. So I called for my parents, but I heard no response. Before I knew it,

our entire house was on fire.

I escaped from my bedroom and into the hallway, but the smoke filling my lungs had tired me out so much that I couldn't walk any further. My eyes stung and the tears that fell down my face basically evaporated in an instant.