viii.

eight ── the father

𝕰den and Luke had fallen into a steady routine once Luke moved in. Each morning, Eden would wake up and make breakfast for the pair, wake Luke and they'd eat together before Alfie would drop Luke off at school and then Eden at the office. In the afternoon, Alfie would pick Luke up and take him to the office where he was able to do all the work he needed before Eden was ready to come home.

"Then, I finished the equation and even the teacher was impressed." Luke was walking backwards as he explained his day to Eden, who was nodding along.

"Thanks Alfie!" She waved to her friend, as Luke did the same, before opening the door for Luke to walk inside. "So, what did your teacher say?"

"That she's never seen someone do a maths problem that quickly. I think she wants to move me up." Luke kicked his shoes off and began to coddle Bradley, who had been waiting for them.

"Great. It will be good to have you being challenged." Eden let out a sigh as she finally put her heels away. "Makes your brain grow more."

Luke laughed as Eden gently hit his head with her knuckles.

"Did you have PE today?"

"Yeah, I did." Luke followed her to the kitchen, opening the fridge to rummage around for food. "It was just running though so, you know, it was simple."

"I'm glad." Eden looked at the fridge door, which already had a maths achievement poster on it that Luke had been given soon after he started school. "I meant to ask you, did you want to join any sports clubs outside of school?"

"I can?"

"Course you can." Eden nodded, pulling a yogurt out from over Luke's head. "Whatever you want, I'll make sure you can."

"Ice hockey would be fun."

"You played before?"

"No, but I watched it a lot on TV at my mom's house." Luke began to explain. "The TV broke when I was six, and it was stuck permanently on the sports channel so I used to watch a lot of hockey."

"I'm in the presence of an expert then." Eden grinned, not reacting to the comment about his mother. Luke dropped little hints here and there about his mother, but never fully explained anything. Eden knew that he would when he was ready to, and not before. "My youngest brother plays ice hockey. If you want, I can see if he'll take you skating."

"Your brother does?"

"Yeah, Jasper is in high school still and he plays..." Eden struggled to remember his position for a moment. "First line, right wing?"

"Woah." 

"I can ask him. He knows the best places to skate and all that."

"When do I get to meet them?"