eight

"if you want, i can definitely talk to my dad about offers and stuff," jeno told siwoo, bouncing a baseball off of the wall as they sat on the floor of their spot in the underground abandoned subway

"give me a couple days to wait for responses back, and then if i need it, you can ask your dad for me. okay?" siwoo reassured. jeno had been pushing getting help from his dad for her, and siwoo couldn't say no to him when all he wanted to do was help.

she'd started to feel a little awkward around him after announcing her feelings about him to sohee, and then having to watch him and chaseul together, wishing that was her instead. it was hard to not be around him, as they'd been friends for as long as she can remember and he was there for her through her toughest times. when he asked if he would met her at their spot, she knew she couldn't stay away.

"you and chaseul seem to be doing great," she said, "do you really like her?"

like the last time she asked about her to him, the corners of his mouth went upwards into a genuine smile. she loved that smile but didn't love the reason for it at all.

"i like her. i want to ask her out, but i think it's too soon."

siwoo wanted to say that if it was her, it would never be too soon. that wouldn't be right, because it wasn't. it will never be her.

she just nodded and they didn't say anything else about chaseul. just sitting there in silence, enjoying each other company as they recently weren't spending as much time together. siwoo began to think about all the things that had happened in the last few weeks that she was keeping from him. other than her aunt and uncle, she wasn't being totally honest.

"jeno," she called, his head turning to her with a hum.

i can't tell him. not now. definitely not now. he would never believe me.

"what's up?" he asked when she didn't respond.

she thought for a moment. "i really am lucky to have you." is what she settled with. which was true, of course. she was always thankful to have him in her life.

he nudged her playfully, "don't get sappy on me, now."

"i mean it."

they always joked around like that with each other whenever one of the two got emotional and vulnerable. there were times where they truly needed to just be heard, and understood, and this was probably one of those times.

jeno looked at her, his eyes going soft when he realized she really meant it. "i know. i'm luckier to have you."

it was just about impossible for siwoo to look him in the eyes in that moment. she quickly ended it by insisting it was time for them to go home, as it was getting dark and siwoo realized she hadn't been home all day, mark was probably wondering where she was.

it had only been a week since the crazy incident, a week spend almost entirely with the boy who claimed to be spider-man. it was still unbelievable to think about, but it was true. siwoo found herself always thinking about mark. on the way to school, in school, on the way home from school, even walking into her house where he'd be waiting for her.

it was only worry. she was just worried that something might happen to him while she's gone.

anyone would be worried.

because it is strictly worry, after all...

right?

her thoughts were pushed away when she felt jeno place his hand on her shoulder, shaking her out of her zoned out state. she noticed they were parked outside of her house.

"you okay?" he asked.

"mhm."

"good. i'll see you at school."

siwoo nodded, still hardly making eye contact when she stepped out of his car. he watched as she ran up to the front door, making sure she got in fully before driving away. like usual, the girl put her bag to the side and slipped her shoes on, her aunt who was sitting on the couch greeting her.

"hey, where's uncle?" she asked, plopping down next to her. the face from her aunt that followed after her question almost made siwoos heart sink.

"we got into a... disagreement, and, he left." she replied, sitting up and taking her nieces hands in her own.

siwoo frowned. "what do you mean he left? where is he?"

her aunt shook her head sadly, feeling guilty that she couldn't give her a genuine answer. "i don't know, sweetheart. if i'm being honest, i don't even know if he'll come back. i'm so sorry."

the younger gently took her hand and ran it through her own hair on frustration, her bottom lip going in between her teeth. "okay... alright. i applied for a couple places, and i should be hearing from some of them soon."

the older smiled sadly in appreciation of the girl she raised trying so hard to help out. "okay, hun. go do some school work. i love you."

"i love you too."

after her aunt gave a quick kiss on her forehead, siwoo got up from her seat, grabbed her bag and went back upstairs. she didn't know what to think. it didn't immediately register through her brain that her uncle really just left, with no explanation, not telling his own wife where he was going.

she opened her door and quickly shut it behind her, seeing mark spinning around in the chair that sat in front of her small desk. he stopped when he heard her come in.

"siwoo," he said softly, watching her plop down onto her bed with a big sigh.

"hm?"

"i didn't do it on purpose, but i heard that conversation. i also heard them arguing, earlier..." he then said, for some reason feeling guilty having to hear it, and also seeing her through that.

"shit, i'm sorry. that's kind of embarrassing."

"no, it's not," he stood up, "are you like, okay? be honest."

siwoo didn't expect for him to be as concerned as he was. she guessed all the time they were spending with each other was influencing them to care about each other way more than they should be.

she waved him off, "i'm fine, i promise."

she wasn't fine. she knew it herself, and the question for some reason made tears begin to fall from her eyes. she couldn't quite pretend to be okay when she knew someone was seeing right through her.

"do you... want a hug? i am really not good at comforting people, i'm so sorry," the boy offered, awkwardly scratching his head. siwoo laughed lightly and wiped away a few of her tears before standing up. she then took a few steps over to him, wrapping her arms around his torso while his around her smaller body.

it felt so right being embraced by him, so comforting. he was genuinely wanting to help her but didn't know how. surely, it could've been a mistake getting attached to someone from a completely different universe.