Chapter 32

Song: Piano Man- Brandy
(this song doesn't quite match the theme of this chapter, but yo... I've listened to it at least 70X since Friday. Old music will always be the best❤️)

AZ

This is definitely not my scene.

Francophone women dressed in white with fake smiles on their faces as they pose for the camera in front of a big pink and white backdrop, the pink, white and green cake... Everything is white and pink and green and I'm sitting here in a black jean jacket, black jeans and messy hair.

I stand out like a blob of ink in a bouquet of white flowers, white fake flowers.  There are about four men here and five girls my age along with two little girls I assume are kids of the birthday girl... or woman... birthday woman. She's at least 35.

She blows the candles on the cake  just before Shura picks up her glass of juice and excuses her self.

"I'll be right back" she says and takes a bend behind the building.

Seriously? You're just going to leave me here?

Perfect... I look to the left and there are two kids under the main table. One stands up and passes doughnuts to the one under as he stuffs it in a bag.

"Shppp" he gestures with his index finger on his lip and I fake zip my mouth. They hide when someone walks by and then move to the grapes when the coast gets cleared. They grab a quarter of barbecued chicken and run off after the chubbier boy winks at me.

Kids...

"Salut ma Cherie..." a woman greets me after blocking my view of the kids, she is soon joined by the birthday woman whose ring has a diamond big enough to cover three fingers.

Please go away

"Pourquoi tu es..."

"I don't speak French" I smile, hoping she will go away due to the language barrier.

"Oh I'm sorry... what I meant to ask was why are you sitting here all alone."

She just had to be bilingual, didn't she?

"Go join the other young ladies on the table over there" she says and gestures towards the girls at a table, they all have long braids with crowns of flowers round their hair, long gel nails and their super high heels.

"No... I'm good" I tell her "it's comfortable here" I say and tap on the cushion beside me.

"Um who invited you?" The birthday woman asks, pronouncing invited as "invitéd".

"Shura" I reply

"La petite amie de Jerry"

Petite amie?

"No... she's his late friend's wife" I correct with a frown.

"Not what we heard" the birthday woman says.

"So you're saying she's a widow? Is she even up to thirty?" The other woman whispers and I fantasize about pulling her shield shaped earrings down her ears before pulling her by her hair along the concrete.

"Salut tante" one of the girls from that table greets.

"Salut Mon amour. Um... she will keep you company." The woman says before they walk away.

"I really don't need company " I say as the women walk away.

"Hello, I'm Marylyn but you can call me Lyn. This is my aunt's birthday party" she smiles

Who cares?

Don't be mean Az... don't be mean. She didn't do anything wrong.

"That's nice" I reply and look down at my phone again.