chapt 15 • Soaked

I was used to a lot of things

One thing I haven't been used to was father bringing up another woman he met. This time she was a business partner he had been working with for a couple of months now.

"Celeste, her name is Celeste and I've set up dinner with her when you visit for the holidays."

"I'm surprised you even mentioned me" I roll over onto my stomach, messing with the duvet on my side, playing with the soft ruffles surrounding it.

A few months after mother's death, father began to see and bring other women around. Each time he'd introduce them to me, my inner child balled up inside and cried. They never lasted more than a month or two so I never had to worry about them becoming a "mother figure" to me.

"She stumbled into your room by accident, I haven't told her about Hartford" You haven't told anyone that you sent your only child across the world because it would look bad for business.

"Afraid she might not like you after knowing that  you sent me off as if I was nothing?" Even through the phone, I could physically see him run a hand over his face.

"Honey, I told you that I've done it out of your best interest" I scoff, rolling back over to my back, crossing one leg over the other.

"Without asking me what's in my best interest, but it isn't all bad" I got up from my bed and went over to my closet.

"I've found somethings that are appealing to my eye" I found my uniform skirt and white top and put them on the chair beside me.

"Your academic studies are most important right now, that should be your main focus."

"My studies of course! What else would I focus on other than hour-long lectures and tons of projects and most importantly finding my way away from the life of sin" I say into the phone, noting by father's sigh that this call was going to end the same way it always did.

"I have a meeting soon, Goodbye Honey."

My self-control was faltering in each waking moment.

I haven't gone this long without sex and it felt hell and torture all in one. I blamed the innocent boy sitting straight across the room from me, doing nothing wrong but writing down the words coming from the Professor into his notebook.

I was being tempted, the guy down the row of students had been throwing knowing looks at me.  I was tempted to excuse myself and find myself in a storage room getting the release I so desperately craved and needed.

My mind and body were fighting each other right now, half of me wanted to, the other half forbid me from leaving my seat. So I stayed put in the chair, turning away from the guy across from me and trying to focus on the short woman standing at the podium in front.