[79] Bond

The innkeeper was not pleased with everyone showing up with yet another set of injuries. She especially narrows her eyes at you.

"Look, I don't know what you kids have been up to, but there's a clinic nearby. It's not big or anything but it's more than enough to receive proper treatment." She sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Killua shook his head. "We need to meet someone here. Can we just borrow a couple of your first-aid kits?"

She narrows her eyes. "You're lucky you're a Hunter or else I would have made you pay a hefty sum for them," she says, going to the back room and returning with the first aid kits soon after. "Now go. You're scaring away potential customers here."

_ _ _

You winced in pain as a disinfectant-soaked cloth pressed against your cuts. 

Sensing your body tense up, Killua immediately pulls the cloth away. "Sorry, was that too much pressure?" he asked worriedly.

You shook your head. "No, it's fine," you say, giving him your brightest smile. "I'd say you're doing great actually!"

Killua stared at you for a moment, before quickly averting his eyes and continuing to disinfect your wounds. "Y-Yeah... okay," he mumbles, a hint of red tinting his cheeks.

As you watched Killua tend to your wounds, you slowly became aware of his touch. How warm and comforting it was. You wanted to lean into him more, but you weren't sure if it was a good idea. 

Before you got carried away with your thoughts, though, you decided to look elsewhere. Immediately, you spot Alluka treating Gon's wounds on the other side of the room. His weren't as severe as yours, but he still had a considerable amount.

You tilted your head in curiosity. "Gon...? How did you get that many bruises?" 

"Hmm?" Gon turned to you. "Oh!" He smiles sheepishly. "I fought Hisoka, hehe."

"You fought him?!" Your eyes widened in disbelief. 

Killua sighs. "Just when I told you to not fight. You just had to go against the creepy clown."

"I know, sorry!" Gon scratched the back of his head as he chuckles. 

You opened your mouth, about to ask another question, but the sound of the door opening caught your and everyone else's attention. 

"Ryu!" you exclaimed, seeing the Hunter casually enter the room.

You were about to stand up, but the injuries on your body immediately protested. Your eyes widened as you inhaled sharply from the pain.

Ryu sighs. "Don't push yourself, (Y/N)." 

"I...I'M SORRY!" You bowed deeply... even though you were seated down. A stinging pain immediately rattles throughout your body, but you ignored it. 

Killua sighs in defeat, standing up and putting the now bloodstained cloth on the nearest table.

Ryu raises his brow in confusion. "Huh?"

"I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused! And for..." you gulp. "and for–"

"It's fine, (Y/N). Stop beating yourself up about it." Ryu shrugs, sitting on an empty chair. 

You lift your head with widened eyes. It seems like the angry, passionate Ryu from earlier had now disappeared. "A-Are you sure...?"

Ryu nods. "Thanks to you, Sanguis is finally captured. Something to be happy about, at least."

"But! How about..." You paused.

Ryu smiles ever-so-softly at you. "It's not your fault, (Y/N), okay?"

Silence fills the room as you stared at Ryu. You opened your mouth to speak, but no words came out. Even Alluka and Gon gave you worried looks as you look down at your feet. 

Killua rests a comforting hand on your shoulder. "You heard him, (Y/N). Nobody here thinks it's your fault." 

You didn't know why, but a warm feeling spreads through your chest. Your vision started to blur, hot tears spilling from your cheeks. 

Killua was the first to react. "Wha–"

"H-Hey, (Y/N)?" Ryu stood up from his seat, cautiously approaching you. 

You wipe your eyes with the back of your hand. "I-It's okay, I'm fine! Just feeling... a little overwhelmed." you flash a smile, a relieved smile. It was like the guilt you've carried in your chest had lightened, giving you space to finally breathe.

Ryu sighs in relief. "I see, so you're just being a crybaby, huh? Got it," he states, making his way to the door. 

"Ehh?" Your eyes widened as you sniffled, continuing to wipe your tears away.

Alluka giggles. "She's not a crybaby!"

"Yeah, sure." He shrugs. "Well, now that I've checked on you guys. I'll have to get going. I need to arrange for Sanguis to be brought to the Hunters' Association."

Killua nods. "Alright. Call me when you need help."

And with that, Ryu leaves.

"I'm done patching up Gon!" Alluka jumps excitedly, gesturing to the spiky-haired boy. "Look!"

You chuckle. "Good job, Alluka!"

Gon nods, giving her a close-eyed smile. "Thanks!" he exclaims, before standing up from his seat. "I'm going to the spare bedroom to rest a bit."

Alluka follows. "And I'll be in the living room! See you both later!" 

Killua blinks in confusion, watching the two of them rush out of the room. "Wait, why are you two leaving?"

But it was too late. The sound of the door closing was the last thing you've heard from them.

Killua stares at the door, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"Everyone's so nice..." you mumble. 

"Hm?"

"They keep saying to not worry, but..." You pause. "I'll still find a way to make it up to them!" you say, looking up at him with determination. Your eyes shone despite your red, puffy eyelids still wet with leftover tears.

Killua stares at you for a moment, before breaking into a warm smile. "Geez... you're really–" he rests his hand on your head, running his fingers through your hair. "You're stubborn, you know that?" He chuckles, gazing fondly into your eyes. 

The sensation of his fingers combing through your locks was enough to make your eyes widen. It was a foreign sensation, but oddly familiar at the same time. Not to mention the warmth in his eyes was enough for your heart to melt. 

"I-I know, Killua..." you avert your eyes, feeling heat rush to your cheeks.

Then, you remembered. 

"W-WAIT!" you exclaimed, looking straight up at him again, ignoring the pain that shot through your body from your sharp movements. "I-I asked you earlier!"

Killua pauses, raising a brow in confusion. "Earlier?"

"Yeah! In the forest..."

Killua's eyes immediately widened in recognition. He inhales sharply, heat rushing to his cheeks. "R-Right... yeah..." He smiles softly, looking down. 

You leaned over in anticipation, hanging onto his every word. 

Killua moves his hand from your hair, gently grabbing your hand instead. "You really had to put me on the spot, huh?" He smiles gently, looking into your eyes with his deep blue ones. The sunlight seeping in from the windows was enough to make them glow like sapphires.

"I love you, (Y/N)."