Welcome To Republic City Pt.2

Before they knew it, the two teenagers were at the police station being interrogated.

"Let's see. Multiple counts of destruction of private and city property, not to mention evading arrest ..." A middle-aged woman dressed in police uniform read the girl's offences off a clipboard as she walked behind the two, bound by their wrists to the table.

Elira had her down, twiddling her thumbs and avoiding eye contact with the woman as Korra followed her movements with a sad look on her face.

The woman slammed the clipboard on the table next to Korra, startling her, and angrily glared at the girls" You're in a whole mess of trouble, you two."

"But there were some thugs threatening a helpless shopkeeper, and I had it ..."

"Can it!" The woman snapped, making Korra flinch " You should have called the police and stayed out of the way."

"Lin, we couldn't just sit by and do nothing" Elira looked at the woman as she walked to the other side of the table.

" It's my duty to help people. See, I'm the Avatar." Korra smiled slightly

Lin crossed her arms, unimpressed "Oh, I am well aware of who you are."

She waved her fingers in contempt, leaning in " And your Avatar title might impress some people. But not me."

She straightened as her voice hardened again. Korra looked surprised by her reaction.

"All right, fine", She sighed decidedly. "Then I want to talk to whoever's in charge."

"You're looking at her", Elira informed. "Korra, meet Chief Beifong. Chief of police and, in my opinion, one of the greatest benders in the..."

El trailed off when she saw the unamused look on Lin's face as she sat down across from them.

"I'll shut up now", She muttered, lowering her head.

"Wait, Beifong? Lin Beifong? You're Toph's daughter!" Korra grinned in excitement

" What of it?" Lin snapped

"Well then, why are you treating us like criminals?" Korra questioned, " Avatar Aang and your mother were friends. They saved the world together."

" That's ancient history. And it's got diddly squat to do with the mess you're in right now. You can't just waltz in here and dole out vigilante justice like you own the place!" Lin snapped, stretching her arm to emphasise her words.

Suddenly one of the metalbending cops opened a peephole in the metal wall. "Chief, Councilman Tenzin is here."

Lin sighed in annoyance, standing up as Elira tensed in her seat.

"Let him in.", The chief ordered, standing beside the table and putting her hands behind her back in a formal posture as the wall in front of Korra and Elira slid aside to form a door through which Tenzin entered.

His eyes immediately went to the two girls handcuffed to the table. Elira looked up at him with a sheepish smile.

"Heh...Hey, Dad," She chuckled nervously.

Tenzin gave her a disappointed look making the young teen's smile drop, and cast her eyes back down at the table.

"Tenzin, sorry ... I got a little side-tracked on my way to see you." Korra also gave the man a guilty smile.

Tenzin looked at her dismayed before turning to Lin and smiling charmingly.

"Lin, you are looking radiant as usual."

"Cut the garbage, Tenzin. Why is the Avatar in Republic City? I thought you and Little Miss Trouble over there were supposed to be moving down to the South Pole to train her," Lin snapped.