Chapter 48

"It was 18 years ago when I was captured. Arthur tortured me for information and made me a servant. One day, I found myself in the Underworld Arena. It's a place where slaves of different races were sold and forced to fight each other for freedom. I was forced to fight there once a month, but I couldn't win a single round." Adal observed as Cale took a sip from the tea. A smile spread across her face.

"If you win 10 rounds within 15 fights in a day, you'd be granted freedom and few gold coins."

Cale frowned. "10 fights in a day? But you fight once a month?"

Adal nodded. "I was 12 at that time, the youngest fighter in the Arena. Arthur made a deal with me, if I get to win 10 rounds in a year, he'll set me free. However, it was only once a month meaning if I lost, I'd get back to square one."

Cale clicked his tongue. "What an unfair deal that is."

She laughed a little then proceed to continue. "Then few years later, I met your mother there. From what I know, she used Thames as her last name. Her beauty made the people in Arena drool and watch her with dirty looks. Even before she fought, men started to bid for her however Arthur never sold her.

"Then few days before her scheduled fight, she requested me a dagger. When she heard I was a Molan she immediately told me about my father and brother.

"After they ran away, she took them in as a butler and chef and kept their identity hidden. I was thankful of her of course. But it seems like father never mentioned me to her, as if I never existed."

Cale frowned once again. "What a sly old man, tsk."

- Aren't you sly yourself?

Abby asked which made the other Ancient Powers laugh. His face crumpled into annoyance. Adaliah, who saw it gently smiled as she thought Cale was sympathizing her.

"That dagger, she won up to 8 rounds. Her strength was overwhelming, it felt like I was watching a goddess perform a dance to the sinners. On her ninth fight, she asked me to run away with her."

There was a pause and Cale's chewing filled the room. The muffled rain outside also seemed to become heavier the longer time passed.

Adal took a sip from her tea. "I declined."

Cale pursed his lips and looked at her in confusion.

-RUMBLEEE

A loud thunder echoed outside followed by a louder rain drops. Adal glanced at the window with worried eyes.

She needs to finish the story as soon as possible, as she was needing to save Litana.

"I knew I was going to be a burden. I would just prevent her from running away from that filthy place, I never wanted that. She never belonged in the Arena in the first place. Jour was someone who prayed for every person she hurt. I just wished for her to not tell my father and brother, and just take care of them. It was enough for me."

Cale hummed. He understood Adaliah. If ever the two Molans' finds out her existence, they sure will not waste time and barge into the so called Underworld Arena and might as well end up dying before seeing her. Cale pitied the woman for having a bastard father and brother.

"Then on her ninth fight, she disappeared. It was not just her, but also Arthur's treasure. They said it was a red pendant. After that day, Arthur was enraged and murdered numerous people in the arena. There wasn't a single day that blood didn't shed.

"However, a few weeks later, news among the slaves spread around. They said Arthur killed her."

Cale clenched the dagger.