Chapter 49

(A/N: This is your warning— Maddy x Klaus are going to have a pregnancy storyline. I've tried to imply it since the beginning, saying that everything was going to change, and I even said it to those who asked directly about it, but I know some people really hate these storylines [even though I think there's nothing wrong with them as long as they're completely realistic??] so I'm letting y'all know in advance that in the near future, that's gonna be happening. If you'd like to stop reading, do so now. Pretend Maddy and Klaus end up being happy together with four dogs after all the drama from TVD and TO finishes playing out. They'll have experienced pain, but they'll be happy. If you're interested in reading what will actually be happening [since I haven't actually planned the ending yet], keep going.)

Enzo forgave her, and Maddy didn't think she deserved it.

"But I lied to you," she said in disbelief. "I lied to you about what really happened to Maggie. How can you just be okay with that?"

"I had my time to lash out angrily at anyone in sight," murmured Enzo, driving her to a small apartment he'd acquired for the two of them. "Now that I know the truth... there really is no reason for me to be cross with you. Am I cross with Damon? Yes. I am. However... he gets a pass."

Maddy bit her lip hard, bringing her legs up to her chest, even though it proved to be more uncomfortable than she hoped it would be.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Enzo firmly. "I'm going to be here, every day. As long as you don't mind sharing a crappy apartment with your little brother."

She managed a smile. "As long as you don't kick me out when you want alone time with someone."

"Perhaps I should be saying that to you. You're the one with a boyfriend."

"Come on, don't pretend you and Liv didn't have a little something going on." She frowned. "I don't even know where the twins are anymore, actually. But I guess they survived. They're probably moving on with their lives. I... I don't know what I want to do with mine."

"Well, you need to remain near Whitmore if you're going to be receiving check-ups every bloody week. I'd rather not work, but you might like it."

Maddy hummed. "Maybe I'll volunteer at the hospital. Help with the newborns, hold them for a while, sing to them, read them stories."

"See?" said Enzo, tapping the steering wheel. "Already, you've figured out something you'll enjoy."

"My uterus is damaged. But according to my hormone levels, it's... doing well."

"That's good news, isn't it? Is that why you'd like to work with children? To prepare to have your own?"

Maddy winced. "I don't know. Klaus said he didn't want to adopt because he didn't want to bring someone else's kid into our mess. He said he couldn't imagine anything more awful than being a father. But... maybe it would be different if we had one intentionally. If we went through the whole process of pregnancy."

"You ought to discuss that with him."

"I know. And I will. Just... not yet. I kind of need things to settle down before I start trying to change my life so much. That will be... phew, a really big thing. So it's gonna take time. But eventually, I'll be ready for it."

They'd gone to the store to get themselves new clothes and other essentials before going to the new apartment and starting to settle in. The bedrooms were much smaller than what Maddy was used to, but she knew that she'd just have to get used to it. It was only for a little while, until they found a way to remove the Traveler spell over Mystic Falls.

Klaus called her while she and Enzo were having dinner and awaiting MRI results from Jo.

"How are you?" asked Maddy right off the bat.