8.3 Rivals

Ayanokouji POV

"Well, should we go meet Class-B," Itsuki asked us. We nodded

In order to make effective use of the extra time on our hands, we decided to check out how Classes A and B were doing. We went deeper into the forest, past the roots of the big, broken tree, just as Kanzaki had instructed. When I thought on it now, though, the tree looked as though the school had broken it intentionally, to use as a landmark. It hinted that there was a spot just further ahead.

The moment we set foot in the deep forest, I noticed a slight change. Quite a few students' tracks stood out on this path, which made it easier to walk. If we simply followed the path, we'd probably arrive at Class B's campsite. That might be why Kanzaki hadn't provided a detailed explanation. So far, of all the ordeals on this island, the blood-sucking mosquitoes that went for our arms and legs were the most irritating. Soon, we arrived at Class B's base camp.

Well, I suppose it's just what we'd expect from Class B... Their way of living was entirely different from ours. Their class had made practical use of their spot, with many trees surrounding a well. They didn't have enough space to spread out three or four tents, so they'd made good use of the space by putting up hammocks. Despite starting in much the same way, our class had chosen completely different items. I was rather curious about some unfamiliar equipment near the well, but what surprised me the most was the atmosphere.

"Huh? Horikita-san, Itsuki-chan? And Ayanokouji-kun?" Someone called to us, almost as if she'd sensed the arrival of sudden visitors. 

Ichinose was trying to tie a string around a tree to put up a hammock. She wore a jersey, which really suited her, and appeared lively. Kanzaki sat a little further away from her. 

"Your class seems to be functioning well, despite obstacles." 

"Haha, yeah. It was really difficult at first! But we tried a bunch of different things, and it worked out. Though the list of chores just keeps on increasing. There's still a ton of work left," said Ichinose with a big smile.

"You're doing well, Honami-san. You are really a good leader." 

"You're overestimating me, Itsuki-chan." 

As I thought, these two are good friends.

"I'm sorry if we're getting in the way." 

"Oh, I'm sorry. That probably sounded like I was trying to drive you guys away. I think it's all right if you hang around for a while. You probably came here to ask me something, right?" 

Ichinose welcomed us without any hint of protest. She invited us to sit on the hammock, but Horikita declined the offer, so Ichinose and Itsuki sat instead.

She sighed while Itsuki is talking with Ichinose jovially. It's expected because we're currently at a war. We can't give our secrets nor mingle with the enemy.

Itsuki needs to improve. She is still naive. 

'I guess, I need to act now.'

"Hey, Ichinose. Did someone come from Class-C?" I asked. 

It wasn't announced that someone from Class-C dropped out. After noticing Katsuragi from Class- A, he wouldn't accept deadweight, and Ryuuen doesn't accept traitors. It's unlikely he'd go to Class- A. It is possible that Class-B is sheltering him.

"Uh, yes. We have Kaneda-kun from Class-C. Why?" Ichinose asked.

"Nothing. We just went to Class- C's camp. Ryuuen said he'd thrown out two people in this exam due to their non-cooperation. We have Ibuki, so I was wondering whether you'd taken this Kaneda."