Out

"I'm sorry!" Luisa looked like she had tears in her eyes. "It was an accident I wasn't-"

"Luisa! It's okay. I'm sorry I shouldn't have shouted." You grabbed her shoulders so she would stop pacing and look at you. "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm happy to tell your family. I'm with you no matter what."

Her tears spilled over the edges of her eyes. You pulled her in for a hug. "I'm so glad you're not upset. I was so worried" She said.

You pulled her back and wiped the tears from her cheeks with your fingertips. "How did they react? Are you okay? We can stay at my house if that would be better for you."

Luisa let out a heavy sigh. "Yeah I'm okay. They reacted fine,  I just, it all happened so fast, I'm in shock a little"

"Do you wanna tell me how it happened?"

She thought about it for a moment. "It's so stupid. We were eating dinner and Mariano proposed to Dolores earlier today, which is amazing, that's not the stupid part." You nodded, "Well then Abuela was telling me i'm gonna be the next one to get engaged and then she was just talking so much about which boys I could marry and she was joking but it was frustrating and Dolores tried to get her to move on but then i blurted oh 'Stop trying to set me up with boys I have a girlfriend' and everyone dropped their forks and stared at me and it was horrifying" She cried.

"Oh baby I'm so sorry," you pulled her down to the ground. She followed, putting her head in your lap and sobbing. You stroked her hair and back, trying to calm her down. "I wish i could've been there with you. What did your family say to that?"

"They asked who" Luisa's voice was shaky. "And I told them. My mom and dad were very supportive, everyone else was once we talked about it more. I just feel so bad because I didn't mean to ruin our secret."

"I'm really glad they're supportive, Luisa. And you don't have anything to feel bad about." You wiped more tears from her cheeks. "Do you want me to stay tonight or is it too soon? I want to support you because i know this is hard"

She shook her head and wiped her nose "I want you here tonight" You nodded. "Also my whole family might be on just inside waiting to meet you" Luisa added just barely over a whisper.

"Oh god" you said, which made Luisa laugh. You had idolized the Madrigals since you were little so this whole situation was a little overwhelming but you wanted to be strong for Luisa. You wiped more of her tears and kissed her cheeks.

"I look like a mess" Luisa whispered. You laughed

"You look beautiful, Luisa" you paused "But let me fix your hair"

She fully belly laughed. You instructed her to stay on her knees as you stood above her and re tied her hair up, pulling all of the loose hairs back into the bun. She stood up and brushed the dirt off her knees. You wiped her face one more time. She held out her hand to you and you took it.

"Ready?" Luisa whispered as we approached the front door.

"Yeah"

The front door to Casita opened as soon as you spoke. The family was standing in the courtyard, when they saw the door open they scrambled into a line, waiting for us. The walk over to them felt impossibly long, your cheeks burning red and your heart pounding. Luisa squeezed your hand as you approached.

"Hola!" The family said in unison.

"Hola Madrigals" You said, leaning closer to Luisa. "I'm Y/N, it's nice to meet you all"

"And you too Y/N, our Luisa has spoken very highly of you" Alma Madrigal, Luisa's Abuela said.

That made you smile. Your nerves were quickly going down. The family wasn't nearly as intimidating as you thought. You introduced yourself to each individual member of the family, Luisa never leaving your side. They were all very kind to you, even though Pepa started thundering when she said you better not hurt Luisa. It made you all laugh. Mirabel definitely knew about the two of you and was horrible at hiding it, unlike Felix who played along perfectly, pretending to not know you at all. You were thankful to him for that. You congratulated Dolores and Mariano on their engagement. Apparently he planned the whole thing on paper so it was still a surprise to Dolores. You thought that was super sweet and thoughtful of him. You mingled with the family into the night, until Pepa and Felix were leaving to put Antonio to bed and Abuela was turning in for the night. You and Luisa stayed for a while chatting joking with her cousins and sisters. For the first time in your relationship with Luisa you felt genuinely content, your relationship didn't feel temporary or shameful or wrong. You were so happy.

After the family finally turned in for the night you and Luisa went up to her room together. She room was made of all stone with a large bed and the most comfortable blankets you had ever felt in your life. You had been up here before but never for much more than an hour.

When the door closed behind you Luisa let out a big sigh and turned to you. "We did it."

"We did it!" You laughed. She picked you up and spun you around, both of you laughing the whole time. When she put you down you kissed. Both of you smiling wide the whole time.