Chapter 10 - Eighteen Luggage?

Ava

"I was angry at Ace," I lied, without batting an eye.

I had always been good at acting. Only two people could catch my lies—Dad and Ace. Although the intensity of Grandpa's scrutiny almost made me stutter, the last thing I wanted was to give him the benefit of the doubt. Aside from wanting a grand wedding, he always wanted Ace to marry for love and happiness, not to save his best friend from a marriage of doom. He would be pretty disappointed in both of us if he found out the truth.

"You were angry at him for more than three months?" Grandpa asked once again.

"Yes, I have quite a temper," I explained to him. "Whenever I get angry, I won't speak to that person for months until my anger melts. Plus, Ace didn't even apologize."

I'm sorry, Ace.

"So we kind of fell out of contact during that time, so I made the rash decision of marrying Simon, which now that I think about was really dumb."

Grandpa's face told me that he agreed with my assessment.

"But I'm glad for that too. I realized my true feelings for Ace through it. I know it's cliche, but I realized I couldn't live without him. There is no one else I would rather be with for the rest of my life. Just before the wedding, I just knew that no matter how mad I was at him, it had to be Ace whom I would marry."

"Did Ace apologize to you in the end?" he asked curiously.

"Of course, he did. It may sound filmy to you, but we both realized our feelings at the same time. He came running to apologize to me, and of course, I accepted. You know the rest of the story. And I'm sorry that your only grandson's wedding wasn't up to your standards because of our mistakes."

Grandpa maintained eye contact with me for a few more moments before he cracked a small smile and said, "It's okay. It's all in the past now. What matters is you are here now as Ace's wife, just like it was always meant to be. I could be happy for that, at the very least." Did literally everyone shipped us? "You should go to Emma now. She will be happy to see you."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Grandpa."

As I started walking straight to Emma's bedroom, I was impressed with myself. Damn, I should have become an actress. I even convinced someone as tough as Ace's grandpa.

I had already discussed with Ace what I was going to tell Grandpa, so I didn't need to worry about that.

I reached Emma's bedroom and knocked on the door.

"Come in," came a faint voice.

I stepped inside and found the blonde girl sitting quietly on the couch with her notebook, and her school backpack thrown on the floor. Her bedroom was of baby pink color. It was a room of a Disney princess living in a palace.

"Hey, Em, look who's here," I chirped. Her amber eyes lightened up hearing my voice. She closed her notebook and smiled up at me.

"Hey, Ava," she said politely. Despite being sixteen, she wasn't a rebellious teenager, but polite and shy. She wasn't energetic and upbeat like her mother and aunt. Well, neither was Ace. Of course, I don't mean that was a bad thing. However, I often wondered if their dad was a quiet, shy, and reserved person.

"I love your new hair color. I am glad you chose to dye your hair blond with Aunt Chloe," I started talking and sat down beside her on the couch. "You didn't send me a picture after that though. I'm hurt," I feigned.