Chapter 18 - Surprising Argument

Ava

On the evening of the day of watching the sunrise with Ace, Liliana explained everything to her mom and Ace's mom. They had been every bit supportive a girl would have wanted her family members to be in her situation. They even promised to explain it to Grandma and Grandpa when they would return.

I was really happy to see everyone congratulating Liliana and her baby by having a little party among ourselves with a cake. I was glad to be a part of it. Day by day, it was getting easier to fit in with them, as if I had always belonged there.

However, I would have been glad if I didn't have a huge pimple on my forehead in the photos clicked during the party.

Towards the middle of the party, I went to the kitchen to get some water, only to find someone crying in there.

"Mom?" I called out.

Luna quickly wiped her tears and turned to me with a bright smile. "Oh, Ava, what brings you here?"

"I can ask you the same," I said and approached her. "What's wrong? Why were you crying by yourself here?"

"It's nothing. I just remembered something. There's just... it's too nostalgic. I remember Thomas throwing me a party when I became pregnant with our first child."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. "Are you missing him?"

She nodded and murmured, "Him and..." She didn't the sentence and let out a few more tears.

There was nothing I could say to make her feel better, other than giving her a comforting hug, so that's what I did. But the hug seemed to have made her break down harder. She tightened her grip on her as her breathing got more unstable.

I had a tough time digesting that the always-smiling and cheerful Luna was breaking down. She really must miss her husband a lot. But for some reason, I felt like that wasn't it. There was something else about tonight that was making her emotional, but I had no idea what. I could just hold her as she cried.

A few minutes later, Ace walked into the kitchen. "Ava, what's taking you so long— Mom!" I barely managed to pull away from the embrace as Ace rushed to hug his mom. I hadn't noticed earlier, but Luna was shaking badly, almost as if she was having a seizure.

"Ace, I'm sorry. I swear I'm happy for Lily. But I just—"

"It's okay, Mom. It's okay. I get it. I really do," he murmured, his voice trembling slightly.

I stood there awkwardly for a few moments, feeling scared but helpless, before I decided I should leave them alone. As I was walking away, I heard Luna sobbing as she said, "I wish she was here today."

"I miss her too," Ace replied.

Who was 'she'?

Before I could wonder more, I felt my underwear getting wet and let out a series of curses.

Of course, I had to get my periods in the middle of a goddamn party.

Life couldn't suck more.

###

I somehow managed to breeze through the night, but the next day, I felt cranky as hell. Ace had to leave early for work that morning, so I didn't find him when I woke up or at breakfast.

I was quiet during breakfast, but no one mentioned it, and I was glad for it. What if I had snapped at someone by mistake?

However, I did ask Luna if she was feeling alright now, and she just smiled at me and replied that she was okay and not to worry. She also told me to forget all about it. Thus, as much as I had been curious, I decided to put that incident in the back of my mind.