chapter 17

bunch of stuff happened, wasn't able to update. thanks for waiting!

"Disorientadas"

After getting home, you and your mom gathered ingredients for facial masks and now the two of you were eating arepas on the floor of your bedroom. "What? So that's why Camilo was a baby? And now he's Mirabel?" She laughed. "Funny little man." If you didn't have a mask on, you'd have furrowed your brow.

"Mama, this is serious. The town runs on magic. No magic, no maintenance. The town could fall apart! If the candle.." Your mother held a hand up. That meant to slow down. You sighed. Couldn't your mother take this a little more seriously? You'd think that your mother would be more concerned, especially since her best friend was a magical fortune teller.

"The Madrigals have had the candle for centuries. I admit, I'm a little unnerved by this news, but still I know that they can power through it. That Mirabel saved the candle last time too, you know." Mirabel? Saving the candle? That's something you didn't expect. "What? Also how do you know this?"

You lay down on your mom's lap, both of you still looking ridiculous in the green facial concoctions. "Bruno sent me letters to talk all about it. However, it isn't my story to tell." You groaned. "All that buildup for that.." You wriggled around on her lap in exasperation. "Silly little worm." Your mother said. She tickled you, causing you to gasp for air while laughing.

You loved your mother. And she loved you. Nothing could ever change that.

"I think these face-facial? Facials? I think these facials are done roasting." Your mom picked at the mask. "Mama, it's called a face mask." She laughed. "Right." Quietly, the two of you cleaned up and peeled off the masks. "Now that's refreshing."

You nod. "Mama, I'll go to bed now, okay? Goodnight." You kissed her shiny smooth cheek. "Goodnight, cariño."

——

You yawned as you turned around for the 48th time. How long were you going to spend just lying here. You walked a thin line between tiredness and excitement. Camilo was pretty handsome. Not to mention all the dancing and excitement all on your first day. Surely because of that you'd be able to fall asleep righ—

Thud.
CRASH!

Mama?

You shot right up. Forget sleeping. "Mama?!" You bolted downstairs, nearly falling down the stairs. "MAMA!" There lay your mother, the plate of arepas broken with the delicacy scattered all over the tile floor. "MAMA!!" You fell to your knees, shakily putting your hands on her.

You couldn't even hear her breathe.

No, no, no, no, no. She can't be. She can't. She just can't. You shook her manically. She can't just leave you like this! Great. Now you have tears welling up. Crying won't solve anything you idiot! "Mama," You wailed. "You can't do that!"

Your mother still lay there, in her pale green nightgown, with her hair still in a bun. She didn't even let her hair down yet.

"You're okay, hm?" Your voice was hoarse from crying, but you never left her side. "You'll be okay." You couldn't tell if you were saying that to her, or as her, to you.

Moments later, you found yourself in front of the Madrigal house in the cold, hazy night. A sleepy Bruno opened up the door. "It's the middle of the night, what are you— Y/N?" He noticed your tear stained face and your red eyes. "What, what happened?" He put his hands on your shoulders. "Mama." Your voice was hoarse. "My, my mama.."

You couldn't even muster up a tear. Bruno understood instantly and in a flash he and you were rushing to your own home. Once approaching the scene, he took in a deep breath. "Lola.." He kneeled down to inspect. "She's barely alive." He hurriedly but also gently hoisted the woman up in his arms.

"We need to get her to Julieta."

Once returning, he woke up Julieta. "Bruno? Y/N?" She rubbed her eyes. "It's Y/N's mother. She's barely clinging on!" You desperately grabbed onto the woman's sleeve. "Please, Señora. My mama." You could barely get the words out. Her kind gaze warmed your heart.

"Where is she?" As the ruckus you caused in the house spread, soon you had awoken Mirabel, Camilo and Señora Pepa. Bruno led her to your mother, lying on a couch Casita pulled up. You felt like you were 12 again, holding the cold hand of your mother. The same sensation, with a different parent.

Everything else was a blur, the sounds were muffled as you stared at your mother's face. "Y/N." You wondered if the universe was playing a cruel trick on you. "Y/N?" Perhaps it was. "Y/N!"

You snapped back to reality. You found Camilo kneeled down next to you. "Tia Julieta is a healer. She'll know what to do." A healer wouldn't take that long. You didn't want to resent her, but the bitterness festered. Couldn't she cook any faster? Camilo took your hand.

"Did you sleep at all? You look a mess." He spoke gently and quietly, like he was speaking to a wounded, wild animal. You didn't want pity. He rubbed circles on the back of your palm with his thumb. "It's okay."

You did nothing but let Camilo hold your hand while you held your mother's.