xxi. Trust

믿음

믿음

"EXPLAIN EVERYTHING RIGHT now," Bitna demanded as she sat down across Mina at their regular lunch table during the school day. Her lunch tray slammed onto the table, making the food on it shift in their place as the sound echoed. Bitna had been waiting for lunch, for the moment where she could practically yell at Mina for keeping a secret for so long. Hell, the superhero she had been idolizing for month and longed to one day be friends was right by her side the entire time. Even if she was really happy, and made her feel a bit cool, she was still pissed off.

"Not so loud, Bitna," Mina winced, glancing around to see if anyone could hear her as she sat down, gently setting her food tray down onto the table. She somehow felt a little relieved that her closest friend knew about her double life, the smallest weight being lifted off of her shoulders. However, she had to be extra careful about her secret identity to anyone else; Bitna would be in danger if Shadow were to ever find out her identity. He could easily use Bitna against her, as the plaguing choice of keeping her powers or saving her best friend was one she never would want to have.

"I have the right to be loud, you-" she sputtered. "You kept a secret from me for so long! We're supposed to be best friends."

"I had no choice!" Mina shouted in a whisper. "I swore to never reveal my identity to anyone. It could put you or anyone in serious danger. If Shadow were to find out, he could harm you, and I don't want you to get hurt."

Bitna cocked her head to the side with an exaggerated smile. "Aw, how sweet of you," she sarcastically pouted before scoffing, shoving the dumplings from that day's food menu into her mouth frustratingly. "So at Jungkook's birthday party, when Hanseong became a villain, you left because you had to become Raven?" she asked quietly.

"Of course," she nodded, timidly looking down at her untouched food as she tried to shake the memory of that cursed day out of her mind. The day she was basically told she would never be with the love of her life.

"How did you get your powers?" she asked, suddenly as friendly as she was before. "What are your powers?"

Mina stared off into thought. "Uh, I found a vial of purple liquid in my backpack once and it exploded in my face," she explained, just then realizing how crazy that must have sounded. "Then I learned I could manipulate things without touching them, and that I can read minds. I also have stronger healing abilities, along with heightened senses and strength. Firedrake is still stronger than me, but I think it's because he works out in his free time, when he's not Firedrake."

"You can read minds?" Bitna blinked. "Have you... ever read mine?"

"A few times," she said, chuckling at the way Bitna turned pale, as if she were a deer in headlights. "Don't worry, I stopped doing that when I realized that all you think about is Taehyung."

"Hey-!" Bitna tried to refute but interrupted herself when she realized that she was right. She really did think about Taehyung quite often.

"That reminds me, last night at the party, what happened between the two of you in that laundry room?" Mina asked. She watched intently as Bitna's cheeks flared into a bright pink as she avoided her best friend's gaze.