11. jan-jan and bad marks

(January)

|11.| jan-jan and bad marks

"Did you hear?"

It was around half past six in the morning, I was dressed and literally running around my room, hands trying to unbraid my hair. Multitasking was something I'd gotten used to throughout years of sharing a bathroom with Jackson but multitasking with Sidney screaming on FaceTime was a whole different experience, "Did I hear what?"

I heard rattling before her voice sounded distant, indicating that she'd put her phone down, "Oh that a certain porcelain hunk of pride is packing as we speak."

Running to pack my bag before I had no time, I nearly fell, shoving my Biology book in the tight space, "What?"

And then her voice got louder as my nail got stuck in the braid me trying to detach my hand, I wondered how Sid did her hair every morning and still managed to make it to her 5am volleyball practice every Friday, "Jan's visiting! He convinced his aunt to let him stay for Thanksgiving break!"

I tried to keep my voice down as I yelled back, "Are you fucking serious? How'd you even find out?"

"Well, Kat heard from Rodney who was told by Jan."

"Rodney? They're still speaking?"

Rodney was Jan's cousin who used to visit him a lot, enough to basically fall in love with Kat.

Last time, our dearest Katalina had seen him, she'd punched him in the face and left him outside on New Years with a hand to his face and a broken heart. Rodney, after going numb o his feelings and eating ice cream with me and Sid, decided to get a girlfriend and things with him and the spicy little Latin girl had been shady ever since.

"Apparently, he called and apologized for trying to kiss her last year."

I heard her shrugging and then fumbling with a clinking noise that could only be informed as a belt.

And then in the distance is heard, "fuck this, where's my sweats?" And then cursing in what I could only assume was Punjabi.

"Having trouble?"

I'd picked up my phone in the time it took her to shuffle over in just a bra as she pulled her pants up. Flicking me off, she ran a hand through her waves, "I'll see you at school, babe. I'm barely dressed-"

"I'd rather not hear about your nakedness... Or see it, thank you."

And she laughed before disconnecting the call.

I'd heard clinking and grunting entering my room before turning around to be met with the slight of Jacky trying to support his body on crutches. I inaudibly sighed, guilt resurfacing, "What's got you all hype?"

"I thought you were mad at me."

I watched as my fully dressed brother, with his bag slung on his back, hobbled through my room towards me. He was struggling to get used to the crutches, a wince echoing through the room when he'd accidentally stepped on his bad foot, "I am but you talk loud enough to rise the dead."

And I couldn't hold it in, "January is coming back!"

His eyes were wide, his mouth dropped open, and his body momentarily stopped moving, "For good?"

Jan was his best friend and he'd been pissed off when he'd left, that eventually morphing into sadness. He didn't get that this wasn't Jan's choice and we couldn't talk him out of it.

"Well, no but he'll be here for Thanksgiving Break."

And rolling his eyes, he shifted his fingers before trying to make his way to the door, "that's not the same."