five

"Namir! Get off the table" The sound of a scolding tone full of disapproval was something that woke most of the company the next morning. It was followed by a sharp hissing and the clatter of something being knocked over and bouncing on the floor. There was another sharp sigh and a surprisingly high pitched giggle. Kili and File were the first to roll on to their feet and nervously approach the door separating the cottage from the barn. The two of them peaked their heads round the frame to stare at the scene. 

Gandalf was seated in a large wooden chair, smoking pipe in one hand and a large tankard in the other. He seemed completely relaxed and was even blowing out smoke that shifted into the shapes of birds that flew several feet before hands smacked them out of existence. On the other side of the table, Namir was half in his chair, half crouched on the table. The boy was still barefoot and wearing the trousers from the day before but he had added a brown leather waistcoat that was buttoned over his bare chest. His pupils were wide and he was watching the smoke birds with all the intent of a predator waiting to pounce. Around them, a third man was moving. He was a hulking figure, taller than Namir and as broad as a barn door. Hair covered most of his face. Beard hanging over his dirt covered shoulders and eyebrows easily covering over half of his forehead. His hair seemed to grow in a line down his back, disappearing under his woollen waistcoat. He was far more dirty than Namir, more tanned too. His hair was more of a brown than the pitch black tangles and his eyes were a different shape. It was easy to see the bear in those eyes, just as easy as it was to see the cat in Namir's. 

The mentioned cat boy was the first to spot them. The brothers jolted when the sharp gaze landed on them. Namir grinned as his hand snapped over the smoke bird without his head even turning. "Ah. You're awake. Want some breakfast?" 

The bear man, Beorn, turned his gaze on them but did not say anything, which the brother's took as permission. Kili headed for the table first, Fili just behind him. They sat themselves between Gandalf and Namir, but with enough distance from the cat boy that he would probably not pounce on them. (Though judging from his eyes, they wouldn't put it past him). Beorn wordlessly filled two cups with milk from a jug and passed them over. "You two are brothers", Namir stated suddenly. "And you're related to the one who smells like a forge. You all smell similar". 

Kili opened his mouth then shut it. File was the one who answered. "I am Fili and this is my brother Kili". The two of them inclined their heads and Namir smiled slightly. 

"So you're a cat?" Kili blurted. 

"I as much a cat as I am a man", Namir replied smoothly. 

"A boy more like", Beorn grumbled. "A boy who still doesn't know that you should not sit on tables". 

Namir's eyebrows furrowed and he bared his teeth at the other Skin-changer but the action was more playful than angry. "It was your fault that the cup was too close to the edge". 

"I saw you push it", Gandalf voiced. "Don't try it young one". Namir hissed again and scowled. During the exchanged, more dwarves had awoken and entered the room. Dori, Ori and Nori all taking cautious seats at the table before being followed by Balin and Dwalin. Thorin was next with Bomber. The red headed dwarf looking eager at the sign of food. 

"Might as well eat since you're here", Namir stated, waving a hand at the sliced bread on the table and the tankards of milk that Beorn was rapidly pouring out. He held out his own empty mug and the man wordlessly refilled it. 

"So how come he's a bear and you're a cat?" Ori asked as he buttered his bread. There were the sounds of footfalls and Gloin and Bofur joined them at the table. It was beginning to get crowded.