The Barrier

After we followed the villager back out of the room and split out back onto the round sandstone roof, I looked at Geo and asked, "Did you understand their dialogue?"

"I know that they weren't speaking, just using mana to converse. Although I didn't understand the language."

I looked at the sullen Geo and grinned. "You don't understand Demonic? I thought you were an assassin~"

"Assassins don't know every language of the world, Shuri~ and how do you know, anyway~ aren't you a saintess~ how can you understand it~"

"...It's because I'm a saintess that I can understand their speech~ but you are just too dumb to even comprehend that little piece of information, huh~ what did I expect from an asshole like you~"

"Hahahaha~ the only reason you can understand is because of the light magic you have~ you didn't even get that light magic by merit~ if anything, you are the idiot here~"

"Oh really~ but that's not true~ the reason I have light magic is because of my soul~ so I did get it because I deserved it~"

We continued to laugh and shoot bullets at each other for ten minutes before finally coming to a conclusion. I told him about what I heard. Tomorrow, they will kill the people of our party. I glanced at him, and he glanced at me. Slowly, pernicious ear-to-ear smiles spread on our faces.

"I mean... it's not like they'll get killed." Geo said.

"And even if they do... isn't it their fault for not listening to me?" I added.

"Plus, if they do..."

"Then it's their fault for being too weak, is it not~?"

We chuckled and turned our attention to the beautiful sunset on the horizon. Red, purple, blue. Just like the bruises on their bodies that I'll see when they get beat up... I'm glad. Looking forward to the show~ please, do scream loud, Henrik, okay? So I can enjoy the great feeling of smugness when I hear you realize that I was right~ It seems like Geo thought the same thing, because a soft, gentle smile appeared, paired with a dark glint in his eyes.

As I said before, great minds think alike~

----

(Author's Note: Third person POV.)

Geo and Alice fell asleep on the roof that night. In the early morning, Geo gripped her arm cautiously and shook Alice awake in haste. As you may or may not know, Alice could get a bit... grumpy in the morning. Just a bit. A smidge. Just a little.

"Who dares?"

From the forest 300 miles away from the village, animals could vaguely hear the faint screams and crashes coming from the desert.

----

(Author's Note: Alice's POV.)

I watched as the villagers exited their houses and streamed into a hut. The place where the party was staying. Soon after, I heard screams, along with a tearing of flesh. Whoohoo! That morning rush! I thought of nothing but nonsense again as I watched Penny and the others stumble out in a hurry with black and red blood smeared on their faces. Henrik fell and screamed when a detached hand grabbed his foot. Hahahahaha! That's funny. Serves him right for not listening to me. Keep up the good work.

Suddenly, thousands of small, grape-like creatures popped out of the tent and went after the party. We watched as one of them managed to attach itself onto Xencrynn's arm and bite the thing off. An ear-piercing howl was heard, and I smiled happily in bliss. I'll heal him later. I want to watch him hurt for a bit, you know? Just for entertainment. I watched the party being chased by the cute grape things one way to another. Right next to me, Geo giggled at the detached arm display and showed no signs of interfering.