Chapter 13

This can't be happening.

"Yea, I'll be right there" And I hung up the phone. Elijah probably saw that I was worried so he asked "What's happening Ev, are you okay?" "Um, yea. I have to go somewhere, maybe we can talk tomorrow?" I say worriedly. Elijah looked at me and then in a more stricter voice said, "Everleigh, what happened?" I'm afraid I have to go right now. I don't want to tell Elijah probably because I'm not so sure myself but the look he's giving me tells me I probably should. "I-Its about my grandmother" I say, stumbling with my words. And then in a quieter voice I say, "I think she's in the hospital."

He looks at me then without thinking I burst into tears. There's not much tears and I should probably go to see if she's alright but I don't have the strength to, I can't move at this moment. And then the next thing I know Elijah pulls me into a hug. And I'm crying onto his clothed chest again.

He doesn't say anything until my cries are gone and left a trail of almost dried tears. He whispered, "I think you should go now, do you want me to come with you?" And with that one sentence I'm one the verge of tears again. The truth is, I don't want to go I just want to stay here and cry but that will not happen cause I know for a fact that I will not forgive myself if I don't go right now, I already pushed my luck crying here, stupid so stupid, my grandmother might be coughing out blood for all I know. No Eveleigh positive thoughts, remember?

"No, I think it is better for me to go by myself." I say pulling out of the hug. As much as it pained me, I knew it was the right thing to do.

I brace myself and start walking to the hospital.

---

The secretary told me that my grandmother was in room 739. I hurriedly walk through the hallway checking to see if any of the rooms I walk by says 739. Finally I see a door that has Room 739 written beside it on the wall.

I take a deep breath and open the door.

---

There's a bed against the far wall, there's also a stand beside it and a chair in front of the stand. I make my way to the chair and I see a weird computer machine thing beside my grandmother. And oh my grandmother.

She's sleeping, I think but she looks very pale and even tho I think she's sleeping it doesn't seem like she's resting at all. I take a seat and take my grandmother's hand.

I don't even notice when someone comes in when they say, "She's unconscious right now." I quickly get up and make my way over to the woman who I assume is a doctor. "Is she going to be okay?" I ask worriedly. "We're not sure, when she came in she was already at Stage III" She said looking truly sorry.

I sigh. "What are the chances of survival?" I ask almost in a whisper. "20%" she said, lowering her voice to match mine. "I'm so sorry, I'll leave you two some time together" She said and left, closing the door behind her.

"Everleigh" A weak voice says and in that moment I knew how bad it was.