CHAPTER 8. New Rules

My plan to run from home was actually going really well, all things considered. Faith had taken me to her house, and I got to see how 'normal' humans lived.

She had a mom, a dad, and even a younger brother, who Faith swore would be the death of her in the near future.

"So, this is my room," Faith blushed and threw the door open. I had expected a lot of pink, but instead received light blues and soft grays.

I whistled and walked in. "Your room is a vibe!" I jumped into a chair and looked at the Paris themed pictures. "I wish my room looked like this, River made the whole thing bright pink." I made a disgusted face.

Faith giggled and sat on her bed. "What's the deal with that? He's your guardian?"

I nodded and hesitated. "Yeah, my previous one died, so, I was stuck with him." I motioned to her books, wanting to change the subject to avoid thinking about my vampires -

No, not mine, what the hell. I thought and shook my head. "So, what do you like to read?"

Faith gasped and touched her books happily. "Oh my goodness, I love books! I have them all sorted out in different categories." She explained and looked at me for approval.

I sent her a thumbs up, tired. "Awesome, tell me more about it," I said, to distract her. At least then she'd be occupied and I wouldn't have to make small talk.

It's not that I didn't like Faith, I just wasn't in the mood to talk, at all. I got like that a lot, I just... wanted to be in someone's presence, but not have to socialize.

Maybe I was just afraid to be alone.

"So these ones are the long steamy romances, and these are the romance mystery. Over here, in this section," Faith blushed and touched a cover, lowering her voice. "Revere harem,"

I looked up curiously. "Holy shit, are they steamy too?" I stood and walked over. Faith nodded and I picked one off the shelf, cheeks flushing at the description alone.

"Can I...?" I held up the book slightly, and Faith nodded.

"Yeah, that one is hot," she admitted and grabbed one for herself.

I made myself at home and lost myself in four men pleasuring a single female. I could almost imagine myself in that situation, being loved, touched, kissed-

I snapped the book closed, blushing. That's enough of that one. I decided and frowned when Faith's door opened.

I jumped to my feet, startled to see Cross. "H-hey, this isn't -"

"Spare me," Cross growled and grabbed my arm furious. "Do you have any idea how long we've been fucking looking for you?"

Faith slapped a hand over her mouth, staring at the hotness that was Cross. "Oh my gosh, is that your boyfriend?"

I shook my head. "Hell naw,"

Cross sent Faith a glare, and she cowered, lips parting in surprise at the venom in his gaze. "Raven, come on," Cross dragged me to the door, and I struggled to keep up with him.

"Bye Faith! Thanks for the steamy af books!" I cheered as I moved down the stairs. Cross growled and shoved me out the door despite the concern in Faith's parents eyes.

"Bye Raven, come again dear!" The mom shouted and I waved before I was shoved into the vehicle.

Cross got into the driver's side and didn't look at me, which was concerning.

Cross always expressed his anger by yelling, the only way to explain his silence, was that he was so angry, he couldn't even speak.

I paled.

I regret everything. I thought and looked up to the sky. Please, let me live, I'll do anything- well, I blinked at the sky. I'll do a few things, so let me live!

I spent the rest of the ride praying, which didn't seem to do much good as Cross parked and looked at me with glowing red eyes. "Get the fuck out of my car," he spat and I quickly obeyed.

I stumbled into the house, Cross pushing me when I became too slow for his standards. I was shoved into the living room, where River and Lion were standing, Dune and Fin sitting on the furniture.

"How'd you find me?" Came from my lips, and it was the wrong thing to ask. Five growls filled the room.

"The principal saw you get into that bitches car," Lion spat and I raised my hands.

"Her name is Faith, btw," I said and winced when River sighed and rubbed his eyes, like he was tired of me. And he probably was, I was more trouble than I was worth. I knew that.

  "What can I do, to make you listen to me?" River suddenly asked.

"You're not my dad," I blurted and regretted it when his face hardened.

"I never asked for much of anything when you came here Raven, and I know this is hard for you, but," River looked at me coldly, firmly. "Enough is enough, there are going to be some new rules,"

I opened my mouth to argue, but slowly closed it, knowing it would do nothing. I nodded and looked at the ground.

"You're going to be picked up and dropped off from school every day, no more of this walking business." Dune suddenly said.

That's not so bad, I reasoned and frowned when Fin spoke up next.

"Curfew of ten pm,"

I gasped in outrage, but didn't dare speak against it. Other than my late night walks, which I would probably take anyway, I didn't really go anywhere.

Unless I ran away, and this was the first time in awhile I had disappeared without telling them where I was going off the property.

"No more hiding things, you love to speak your fucking mind, so fucking speak," Lion spat.

I bit my tongue.

"No more hiding in your fucking room," Cross said darkly, and River looked me in the eye.

"Your attitude is going to have consequences," he told me.

I inhaled and felt angry, even when I had almost no right to. "Right, I need to do homework-"

"You can do that down here, you're just going to go there to brood." River told me.

I threw my hands in the air. "What? Am I going to be able to go to the bathroom?"

River's eyes flashed. "Raven," he growled my name in warning. I sat down angrily and pulled out my math homework, deciding it would be the best one to do while angry. River silently left, seeming to still be incredibly upset.

"Did you get a new teacher already?" Dune asked and I slowly looked at him, not wanting to speak.

"Fucking answer him," Cross spat.

"Mind your fucking business! I don't want to!" I exploded.

Cross my arm, and I gasped, vision suddenly blurred. Cross let me go, and I fell to my kness, blinking.

Holy shit, this is his room, I'm bout' to be sacrificed! "Cross, I'm going down like a bitch," I told him, scooting away from him.

He sneered. "When are you not a bitch?" I shrugged weakly and my back hit the front of his bed.

"Good question," I said sarcastically and went stiff when he was suddenly in front of me, using his vampiric speed.

"Didn't River just tell you how attitude would lead to consequences?"

Oh my god -