3

Confusion marked Zee's brow.

"What?" she asked.

"Remember when I accused you of sending me a text with the words you just accused me of saying to you?"

"Yeah," Zee confirmed. She sounded thoughtful now.

"I never saw the message again and that was how I knew it was my last warning."

Zee sighed resignedly.

"I didn't say the words, Zee. That was your last nightmare."

"I know that now," Zee admitted. Her voice was solemn. "I'm sorry."

"Me too. Do the needful. I'll be waiting for feedback."

"Okay."

"Good luck, Zee."

"Thanks. Goodnight."

"Night."

Zee ended the call and Inara placed her phone on the table. When she looked up, Lemuel had his eyes on her. She couldn't read his expression. He could be so unreadable sometimes.

He took Caleb back to bed and laid him down before sitting down on the bed and throwing his legs onto the floor. Then he patted the spot beside him, indicating that she come to him. Inara rose up and joined him on the bed, sitting beside him.

"Sorry I woke Caleb up."

"You couldn't help it. But I'll like to know what the problem was."

"There was no problem."

His eyebrows lifted probingly.

"You and Zee were almost at war and you say it was nothing?"

"It was just a simple misunderstanding."

"Mrs. Lemuel Arnold. Who do you think you're talking to?" he asked firmly.

"I'm sorry." She whined.

"Good. So?"

"I need the night to calm down."

"When it comes to Zee, I'm sorry but I will not give room for a downplayed story. I want it now that it's hot if you know what I mean. Besides, I heard the words 'dare' and 'nightmare,' which has me worried."

Inara sighed. Lemuel could be so demanding and overwhelming. But she already knew who she married. And she also knew that talking about it would alleviate her anxiety concerning Zee.

"Talk to me, Baby Girl. I'm no longer a stranger to the last dare."

"I know."

"So talk to me."

"Zee never did her dare as she had claimed. She lied about that. She stalled her dare with some voodoo but got high and forgot to renew the voodoo and now she has to do it."

"I know I insisted on hearing it but I really hate this subject."

"I don't know what to say."

"I wasn't expecting you to say anything," Lemuel said matter-of-factly. "What was her dare, anyway?"

Inara hesitated. She hated talking about the last dare. It was a sore reminder of her recklessness with Zee.

"Inara Anthony Lemuel..." he began in a warning tone.

"Fine, it's not like I don't want to tell you." She said quickly. If Lemuel started calling her like that, it meant his patience was thinning.

"I'm all ears, Baby Girl."

"Well, she has to call the guy that disvirgined her and ask him to marry her."

Lemuel stared at her, speechless for a moment. She remained silent. He was the one who had asked. The shock wasn't hers to bear.