Chapter 18 - The Order

"I hate coming back to this fucking place..."

"We won't be here for long. Stop complaining."

    The two demons talked as they walked through bushes and felt heavy snow crush underneath their boots. As they reached a gate, Ki teleported and reappeared on the opposite side meanwhile Akai simply used his leathery wings to fly over and land next to his partner. The two continued their walk towards a building in the distance with the view of it being covered by dead trees and shrubs.

"You got any 'genius plans' on leaving yet?" Akai air quoted with a mocking voice.

     Ki simply rolled his eyes. "I need more time. This isn't like the labs."

     The blond huffed and placed his hands in his coat pocket and leaned his head back, allowing his tattered hood to fall and expose his hair to the cold. "You need to hurry up then. I wouldn't be surprised if Yama already thought of something."

     Akai smirked upon hearing Ki's dissatisfied breath. Ki despises the idea of being one-upped by the doctor.

     The two neared a clearing and stepped out from the shrubbery into an open lot with the building a couple of feet away. They walked towards a set of doors and Ki pushed them open and entered inside with Akai. Once the doors closed behind him Akai sighed in relief at the warmth. "At least this place has heat!"

    To warm himself up quicker he engulfed his body in flames that lasted for a few seconds before extinguishing them. Not leaving a single burn on his clothes.

    Ki, not bothered at all from the cold, continued walking. Not waiting for the other to catch up.

    Their presence in the building was quickly picked up by others. Lower demons taking up residence in rooms peaked out or moved away as the two passed. Even the animalistic demons chose not to bother the two scouts. Akai took pleasure in being seen as a higher up. If any of these lower demons ever even thought of trying to go up against him he has full authority to kill them without getting in trouble. They were lower demons for a reason and completely expendable.

      Ki didn't care about the position he was in. Just glad that no one will ever bother him while he was here. Probably the only aspect of being a scout that he's happy with.

     The two traveled up some steps, down halls that contained patient rooms, small labs, and offices. But as they went deeper, the more the rough looking hospital that they were in began to look like a horrid asylum. Chains hung against the walls in rooms, some keeping small weak demons locked down. Gurneys with straps, broken wheelchairs, and piles of trash littered the halls. Even claw marks, burns, old black blood, and tons of evidence of demons were present all around. This type of environment would be dreadful to humans but completely normal to demons.

    Akai's eyes went to a busted corkboard that held an old map of the country they were in. They lingered on from where they were to other parts of the land before breaking away and looking towards the dark demon. "So where you planning on going after all this, hm~?"

"South. As long as we're not north." Ki's answer was short but straight to the point.

    It was the better general option. Zankoku completely dominated the North and the areas surrounding it. It'd be smart to go in the opposite direction.

    The blond snickered. "You know it's hotter down South, right? You sure your cold ass is gonna handle it?"

"I should ask the guy who can barely stand the cold without using his abilities." Ki shot back in his monotoned voice.