"Upon My Word"

I knew, that most creatures weren't interested about our common past. Only the present was significant to them. Here and now was what counted. Why humankind altered, why we were separated in different "species"... wasn't.

The strong were strong and the weak ...weren't. Why change how Desa worked? If you belonged to the strong, you wouldn't want a change in what form ever. But if you belonged to the weak, the exploited and pushed around? THAN you longed for a change for the better.

I knew, that everything was related to the "big wave". Everything! Something changed even before the wave, that led to the altering of us humans. There must have been a turning point somewhere back in history...and I think it was artificially made by mankind itself, But why? 

I watched the Islendigur men, how they sat around the fire. One man played a guitar very slow and nicely. Another man spoke something I couldn't understand but the other men listened to his words in silence and nodded. Suddenly a young man sang in a very charismatic voice, a second man vocally joined him. I didn't understand one word they were singing - didn't need to, because their music and words reached my heart and soul either way. It was so beautiful.

This is the song Callida is hearing. Ásgeir Trausti Einarsson is an Icelandic singer. I like his music very much. Like Callida I don't understand a word but I am touched...perhaps you too.

(Meanwhile I got the chance to see Asgeir at a concert in Germany. This man is incredible, his voice takes you on a mental journey. I thought, I was alone on this planet listening to his music and voice...)

A warm hand embraced mine. Gaisgeil smiled at me, his head bending to mine. Soft lips kissed mine short and full of love. He hugged me, engulfing me in his big strong arms. I felt like I was wrapped in a warm blanket: safe, warm and cared for. My head rested on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Slowly my eyes closed but I still listened to the music, the voices and strange words.

One last time my eyes opened. I was met with Conor's oddly troubled face. My eyesbrows furrowed. What was on his mind? What was bothering him? The music went silent and my eyes closed finally...

When I woke up, everybody was still sleeping - only Ronan was up, drinking out of a steaming mug. He stood at the entrance of the cave watching the dawning sky. A loud growl was heard that shook by bones. A painfull cry followed, a cry of death. A thrill went through the forest, you could hear it, you could feel it.

I shivered. "What was that, Ronan?", I asked an a hushed voice, afraid that animal could hear and come after me. Ronan chuckled. "This was an Amur-Tiger. Don't be afraid, he caught an elk, he won't come for you." He watched me, analyzing my body judicial in amocking way. "You are to bony, no meat!", he chuckled again.

My fist hit him. "Ouch, woman, bony but a strong punch", he rubbed his arm playfully as if in pain.  An arm, that could easily kill me without much effort. Suddenly I felt an itchy stubbled chin pressed against my neck. 

"Hm, you smell so good, even without taking a bath." Gaisgeil kissed me. 

"Good morning, Mylord, did you sleep well?", I asked with a slight edge in my voice. I watched his relaxed expression. "At least one of us slept...", I muttered tired. 

Gaisgeil gave me a deep sloppy kiss. "Didn't you sleep because we snored like rutting bulls?"

Ronan rolled his eyes annoyed. "Would you two love birds stop with your hugs and kisses? It makes me uneasy." He shook his head and snorted. 

"If I told anybody that the Lord of Desa behaves like a lad before his first-"

A clear of a throat interrupted the "meaningfull words" Ronan wanted you share with us. 

It was Arnar. He bowed in front of us in a very respectfull way. "Mylord, supreme commander, my Prota."

He watched Gaisgeil carefully. "We would like to take our leave, if you don't need us anymore."

My destined watched him thoughtful. "Do you know how to get to Bertaèyn?"

Arnar's eyes went wide. "Bertaèyn?" He scratched his chin with his hand. "Yes, I know how to get there. But it's a long journey ...very dangerous. We have to pass many dangerous plains and forests. On our way we'll have to face the Laidir, the Immaniter and the City of Nefaria." He shook his head in a dismissive way.

Gaisgeil's eyes narrowed. "Nefaria? What's the matter with Nefaria?", he pushed to know. Nefaria was one of his cities, nearly as big as Gordan.

"They are evil, Mylord, their bailiff is cruel and sick", he coughed, startled about his own choice of words. 

"I mean...you are hard and ... uhm...cruel too....but the bailiff of Nefaria enjoys to show his power over the people in a sick way. He likes to break them. His daughter is a fierce fighter and has a particular liking in torturing innocent people. They rule together over the people with brutality."

Gaisgeil and Ronan watched each other, only communicating through their eyes. Nobody said a word.

I huffed. "Well, I don't know much about the wild animals or the dangerous forests nor am I keen to visit Nefaria...but I know the Laidir, they won't harm us", I said with confidence.

Arnar scoffed. "No harm?", he asked in total disbelief. "The Laidir are dangerous wild women. They fight like angry tigresses you took the puppies from."

I snickered. "Yes, they would like your description, I am sure."

Gaisgeil and Ronan smiled. "Callida lived at the Laidir for three years, they know each other. She was accepted into the sisterhood." Everybody could hear how proud he was of his Prota.

I smiled, accepting that strenth was the only currency that was of any value in this world. And I payed my dues.

Gaisgeil rubbed his face with both hands. Obviously he was ready to depart. Behind Gaisgeil's back I saw Conor linger in the background. He was packing our stuff, mine too.

"Please, follow us or our journey.  Accompany us on our way to Bertaèyn. We honestly need your help. There are a lot of wild beasts on our way and we are only three with fangs and claws." Gaisgeil's request took us all by surprise. He didn't command, he asked.

I shuddered. I felt utterly stupid. Did I really go on an quest across Desa with only one companion? And Conor? Why did he go with me? Was he stupid too?

Arnar weighed his options. "Will you let us go, once we reach Bertaèyn? Upon your word?"

Gaisgeil put his hand on his heart. "Upon my word."

Arnar nodded relieved. Gaisgeil turned to Ronan and me with a serious expression.

"Before we get to Bertaèyn, I am very keen to visit Nefaria", he said with cold, calculating eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailiff= Govervor

I hope you liked this chapter. I heard the Icelandic music in a loop writing it. But now...I am tired. Good night!