Chapter 50

Klaus made his decision three months later.

Maddy didn't mind the wait. He was with her every day, and he would walk her to the hospital so that she could hold the newborns for a while whenever their parents were in surgery or just unavailable.

She could see that he tried to hide a smile every time he leaned on the glass, looking in at her in her flimsy hospital gown and cap, beaming around at all the tiny creatures who cuddled up to her and cooed at every other word she spoke to them.

Jo and Meredith had her doing blood tests so often that she could practically draw her own blood at that point. They'd created a large Excel graph detailing the changes in her body as time went on. She'd started off perfectly healthy, but it seemed that the longer she lived as a human, the more she started to show natural abnormalities that humans had, without it being deadly. The magic didn't seem to be diminishing, which meant Jo's prognosis of two years was probably spot on if she led a healthy lifestyle.

She had to take vitamins and follow a strict diet and workout plan to keep her blood pressure and blood sugar levels from getting too far out of her 'normal' range. She also had to see a psychologist, because apparently her grief could lead to a 'psychosomatic illness' which basically meant that her mental stress could turn into actual physical problems like insomnia, nausea, and headaches among many other things.

She tried to meet with Caroline and Elena as often as possible. The first several days they cried a lot. And then, they transitioned into worrying about their new school, since they now had to finish high school in McKinley, as they couldn't step foot in Mystic Falls.

Maddy called Stefan often to update him on her condition. He let her know that he was in Savannah, Georgia working as a mechanic. Whenever he wasn't working in the shop, he was rebuilding Damon's car, on the off-chance that they might see him again. He was also getting to know a girl named Ivy, who was apparently very sweet. Maddy tried not to get angry when he admitted that Ivy was human.

Apparently, he was perfectly fine interacting with other humans. Just not his sister.

As March came around, she found herself feeling better than she had when Damon and Bonnie first died. She was glad to be able to talk to Alaric again. She had already forgiven Liv and Luke, who she saw often on campus whenever she was done getting her scans. She knew that Luke had only been trying to protect Liv so that the spell didn't kill her. She admired that he'd protected her, much like Damon had protected his siblings in many circumstances.

When her birthday arrived, she found that she didn't feel as miserable as she thought she might. She had Enzo, Klaus, and Elena, which was all she really needed. The others in the group had come by for a small birthday dinner. Even Rebekah had made an appearance with Matt. No one dared to mention the three empty seats Maddy had left in the table, for Stefan, Bonnie, and Damon.

"Here's to turning one hundred and sixty-eight," she said, holding up a bottle of whiskey as she sat beside Klaus in their bedroom. "I'm completely mortal and I get drunk a lot easier so this is really weird to say, but I am... nearing the wonderful age of two-hundred."

"And you look absolutely beautiful for your age," said Klaus kindly, leaning over to kiss her forehead.

"You know what's funny?" said Maddy. "Everyone thinks I don't know about what they're up to whenever I'm at the hospital."

"Oh? And what is it that they're up to?"

"They're trying to find a way to resurrect Damon and Bonnie."

Klaus frowned slightly. "Is that why you were chipper today? I admit, love, everyone anticipated that you would be feeling... downcast."

"Maybe," she admitted. "It's nice to think of something good that just might happen. I understand that it might not be possible, but still."