Chapter 38 - Ellie

I know it's been too long....and that this is too short. Just keep in mind it's actually one third of a whole chapter.....Drew and Em's perspective's before this were the other two thirds. Anyway, hope you like it.

*************************************************************************

ELLIE

Em had driven me to my doctor's appointment, where they scheduled my 10 week ultrasound and told me that I was progressing as expected. I had gained 5 pounds since I'd been pregnant. They told me to watch what I was eating, and gave me some dietary suggestions as well. Currently, I was sitting beside Adam in his mother's car. He had been very supportive during my appointment, even with Emily there eyeing him suspisciously. When he'd asked if he could drive me home, I'd had a feeling he had wanted to discuss something with me.

His brow furrowed as he began. "Ellie, I've been doing a ton of thinking lately," he said, as if I wouldn't like what he was about to confess.

"Okay," I said, waiting for the rest.

"I'm sorry for kissing you the other day. It's just that I was so upset about you having the abortion, even though I had already told you that I was fine with what you chose, that when you told me that the baby was still alive and growing inside of you, I could hardly contain myself. I got caught up in the excitement and relief, and I did the first thing that I felt: I kissed you," he said.

"Yeah," I said, "I was there for that."

He smiled. "I don't want to confuse you. I told Leesy about it, and she seemed pretty upset, and with good reason. After all, she grew up with a crush on me, while I was completely obsessed with you. I already tortured her and didn't even know it. I can't do that to her again. I really like you, Ellie, especially now that you're changing, but Leesy is my girlfriend. She deserves for me to give her a chance," he continued.

"I never expected you to leave her," I said. I wanted to say, even though I would take you in a second, but I knew that would only complicate things. Besides, I was pretty sure he knew that already.

"I know, Elle, I know. I also know I liked you for years, but you never reciprocated. It took a drunken mistake for you to give me the time of day. Leesy cares about me. Plus, she knows the real me. I'm not sure you really know me, outside of seeing me around while I hung out with your sister. I have been the chaser all my life, wanting a girl I couldn't have. I'm finally the prize in the relationship, and I want to see how it all works out," he said.

"I get it," I said, wiping a tear that escaped my eye. I didn't want him to feel any worse than he already did.

"I'm not saying it will work out. I'm not anywhere near ready for marriage or anything. This is my first real relationship, and it sucks that I had to start it after I got you pregnant. Maybe Leesy isn't my soul mate, but I think I owe it to all of us to find out if she is. I mean, I'll support you and the baby, Ellie. I'm not going to be a deadbeat dad. I just can't get romantically involved with you right now," he said.

"Okay," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. I completely agreed with his decision, even though it stunk for me.

"I know it's all pretty messed up, no matter how you look at it, and I'm so so so sorry about that," he said. "I just don't want to live my whole life regretting this decision."

"It's alright," I said, meaning it. "I should have never seduced you the way I did."

He laughed. "Um, I don't think it was all your fault. I sat down beside you and started inhaling your face. I'd say we're both at fault," he said.

"I can accept that perspective," I said, smiling now. It was going to take me a long time to get over this one.

I had always thought I loved Drew. Looking back, I think I was in love with the idea of dating him, of having someone to attend social gatherings with. The way I felt when I thought about Adam might not have been love, either, but it was much stronger and overpowering than any feelings I'd ever had for Drew.

He pulled the car into his driveway, and I sneaked back into the car with Emily. She had been in Adam's driveway before us. It was hard to see Adam's driveway from our house, so I hoped we were safe. I guess it didn't really matter anyway. I'd be telling my dad I was still pregnant in about 2 hours.

"So?" Em asked after I shut the car door.

"He's staying with Leesy," I said, fighting back the tears that were trying to stream down my face. Stupid pregnancy hormones.

Em furrowed her brow, looking worried. "I see," she said.

I wanted to ask her about why she didn't say more, but we were in our driveway now. We took a few shopping bags from the backseat. We had done a few quick errands beforehand to keep up our facade. Then we walked inside.

A few hours later found me at the door to the first floor room my father called his office. He was sitting at his desk, working on his laptop.

"Dad?" I asked quietly from the threshold.

"Yeah, Sweetie?" he replied.

"Can we talk for a second?" I asked.

"Sure," he said, abandoning his laptop and turning his chair to face me. "What do you need?"

I proceeded to tell him how mom made me go for an abortion, and how I hadn't gotten one. I apologized for not telling him sooner.

"That's okay, Honey," he said, coming around the desk to hug me. "We'll figure this out."

"What do you think mom will do to me?" I asked.

My dad looked troubled. "She's not going to do anything but support you," he said. "She's certainly not going to throw you out of the house."

I hadn't realized I'd been holding my breath, but after hearing those words, I exhaled.

"You just focus on taking care of yourself and that baby growing inside of you. I'll worry about your mother. I'm not sure what has gotten into her lately. She was so against having an abortion when we'd met. Her convictions were part of what attracted me to her. Now, there's something going on I can't quite figure out," he said, looking serious.

"Thank you so much, Dad!" I said excitedly.

"Wow," he said as I was walking out of the room. "I always knew having twin girls would involve marriages and pregnancies, but I thought I had until they were at least out of college."

I wondered what he meant by marriage.

***********************************************************************

Please remember to vote and/or comment. The next chapter will focus on Emily and Drew.

Do you agree with Adam's decision? Do you think Ellie is in love with Adam?