Goblin City?

Night. The direwolves' alpha had his eyes open. It was a full moon-the perfect night for a battle. Slowly, he rose, surveying the area, the rest of his pack looking on with bated breath.

Just the right amount of intensity, the alpha thought.

Tonight, they would level the goblin village, establishing a foothold for themselves within the Forest of Jura. Then, slowly but surely, they would hunt the monsters around the area, expanding their territory until they ruled the woods. Soon, when the time was right, they would turn their eyes toward the south, invading it for the power it held.

They had the strength to make it happen. Their claws could rend the flesh of any monster; their fangs could pierce any armor.

Alpha: “Awooooooooooo!” The alpha gave the signal.

It was time to let the carnage begin.

There was, however, one concern. The alpha had sent a scout a few days ago who had come back with some perplexing news-news of a small monster that let off a strange, mystical force. Enough to surpass that of even their alpha.

He had shrugged off this report at first, for it was too preposterous to entertain. He himself had detected nothing of the sort in the forest. Every monster they'd encountered was a comparative weakling. Up to this point, nothing even resembling resistance to their advance had appeared-and they were almost in the dead center of the woods. A dozen or so goblins had picked off one or two members of their pack, but nothing else.

The scout must have been too excited about the upcoming hunt to think straight. That was the alpha's conclusion as he kept his eyes forward.

Ahead lies a village. It was situated exactly where the scout said it was. He had followed the trail of a wounded goblin straight to it. Nothing about his report suggested it to be a threat.

This was not the alpha's first battle. He was cunning, and he never let his guard down. However, even he had to admit that the strange... thing around the village was a tad unusual.

It was...a wall, like one would see in a human city. The amount of time it should have taken on creating that wall would be insane, it's complete with things essential for a fort-like: Murder Holes, Scout Towers, Narrow Gate, etc. It was formed as defense that neatly covered all of the village grounds. And there, in front of the single opening in the barrier, was a Slime and two Humans.

Slime: “All right, stop where you are, okay?” the slime said to them. “If you turn back now, I promise I won't do anything to you. Move away from here at once!”

Impertinent little bastard. Leaving just one entryway open to block a mass attack? Just the kind of shallow thinking one should expect from a garbage monster like this. Our claws and fangs would make mincemeat out of that wall.

It was time to show these individuals their true power. The alpha gave the order. As if they were his own right hand, about a dozen direwolves immediately set off to attack the fence-the picture of coordination, the exact reason the pack essentially functioned as a single monster.

The [Thought Communication] skill enabled their collective behavior, as it was far faster than giving verbal orders, letting the pack work in perfect tandem.

The first wave should have been all it took to destroy their defense. The alpha was already picturing the screaming rabble of goblins, struggling to flee after the miserable failure of their stratagem. However, he stopped and yelped at what he saw. The force he had sent toward the fence had disappeared and then quickly reappeared flopping on the ground.

What could this be? The alpha kept his mind sharp as he surveyed the area. The slime and the humans by the entryway had not moved an inch. Did they do something?