Chapter 17

Two weeks later, just after midnight.

Nya wakes from sleep knowing that she hadn't fallen asleep for too long. The sounds of sniffling woke her.
She turns around to see her sister sitting beside her leaning up against the headboard. She went to bed with Vince so it was a surprise that she was there. "What's wrong Lee?"

Her wet face and puffy red eyes look at her in surprise. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"You should be sorry for not waking me. What's wrong?" She sits up and puts her arm around her.

Malina sniffles and grazes her fingers through her hair pulling it to the side. "It's just Vince... he's been so...different."

"Different how?"

"Distant... He was never the world's most attentive partner but, he at least would give me his night's. He hasn't had sex with me since before we came here. Before that, he's never turned me down. He doesn't even really seem to want me around. And I can't understand why. What did I do?"

"That can't be true. He changed everything he believed in so he could keep you."

"I'm starting to wonder if he resents me for it."

"I don't think so."

"Then why is he keeping me at a distance? Why?"

Nya takes a breath. There just had to be more to this. "Maybe it's the super blue moon that's waxing. Maybe it's making him act strange..."

Malina puts a pillow in her lap and plays with the corner. "Maybe we should all leave. What is the point of being here if he is not happy with it? I would rather we not be together than it be like this."

"You don't mean that."

"And if I do?"

"Then I'll be behind you but... maybe he isn't showing you in a romantic way how much he loves you right now but he is showing it in other ways. Like allowing the whole pack to come live with him. Under that hard shell he wears, he is actually a softie... for you at least."

Malina didn't look convinced. Something is wrong, something is off. I can feel it. If things don't change soon, then we're leaving Nya. I mean it. I won't be treated this way. What I ask for is not unreasonable. He isn't being fair to me. I've never felt so insecure. I keep wondering what's wrong with me? Something must be wrong with me."

"Don't say that. Nothing is wrong with you... If you're this unhappy with him then you're right to want to end things. But do me a favor and give him some time, at least until after the blue moon. I don't want you to make a mistake. There's just no way he did all of this for you and then would throw it all away."

"I hope you're right." Malina slides down and lays her head on the pillow. "Come on, let's get some sleep."She taps on the bed.

Nya obeys and laid down as well but there was no way she was going to fall asleep easily. She started wondering if her presence around them was causing friction. She was like an unwanted pet that he had to adopt if he wanted to be with Malina, and maybe that is exactly how he felt. He probably felt like a babysitter who had to take on all the burdens that included her. He was probably uncomfortable in his own house.

After a long while, she manages to fall asleep. In the morning, she wakes before the sun completely rises and is careful not to wake her sister as she goes to brush her teeth. When she was done she tiptoed to the kitchen and poured some milk and cereal in a bowl.
She sat near the island only hearing the crunchy sound from her eating when Vince entered.
Her eyes widened. "Good morning Alpha Vince."
She was always the first one up and out. Sometimes she would see him head to the gym but that was it, and she did this on purpose. The less in the way she was the better.