THIRTY-EIGHT

THIRTY-EIGHT
Callie

"Please, no more!" I sob, but it falls on deaf ears as my head is plunged back into the ice-cold water.

My lungs burn with the lack of oxygen, and my tears mix in with the water.

Forty-eight hours. For two days they have been doing this. I'm tired, I'm scared, and all I want is for this to be over. But most of all, I'm worried. Worried that my men have already assumed I'm dead and that I drowned. I'm worried that they haven't been looking for me, and I'm worried that they're going to go down a dark path without me there.

My head is yanked back, and I desperately gasp for air.

"There's a safe, that your bosses have. It's filled to the brim with fucking money, Callie. How many times are we going to have to do this? Where is the fucking safe?" I clench my eyes shut and clutch tightly to the metal tub.

"I don't fucking know, you fucking bitch!" I shout at Penelope, and yet again she shoves me back under the water.

I try to fight and claw at her hands to let me go, but she only pushes me down further. A muffled cry leaves my mouth just before I'm yanked up again.

"It is two billion fucking pounds! You know where it is!" Penelope shouts in my ear and I stare at the wall in front of me with a blank stare on my face.

I don't have a clue about a safe. Only because I've never had much insight into the men's illegal business. But Penelope has, so she's always known about this safe, about the money, only she never knew where it was and she still doesn't. I sigh to myself and shake my head lightly. It's always about money.

"Persephone. I don't have a fucking clue." I sigh tiredly, my eyes fluttering closed because I'm very close to passing out in the next ten minutes.

"It's Penelope, bitch!"

She goes to dunk my head again, but she's stopped by the voice of Everest's mother.

"Leave us." Penelope let's go off me and walks off, but not before shoving my head back in the water.

"Bitch." I mumble.

"Get up." I stay sat and turn to look up at Everest's mother.

She had Everest when she was fifteen, she's only forty-four, but she looks well over the age of sixty. That's what drugs and alcohol will do to you.

"You know where the safe is, Callie." I release a frustrated sigh and clench my jaw. I have no idea what will convince this stupid woman.

"I don't fucking know, Chloe. How many times am I going to have to tell you this?" I tilt my head and look up at her.

I rest the back of my head on the tub and look up at the ceiling. The cold light creates a dull and creepy aura in the underground bunker. The walls and floor are damp concrete, and I'm pretty sure my knees and ass are about to go numb.

Chloe crouches down, so she is at eye level with me, and snarls. I maintain eye contact with her. I can tell she is trying to intimidate me, but it's not working. I'm tired of her shit.

"You're trying so hard to find this money, that I have no idea about, but you can't try that hard to build a relationship with your children. Why is that?" Her face falls at my words. "You don't deserve anything, what you deserve is to rot in a fucking prison cell. You can do whatever you like, but you know at the end of the day you're a lonely piece of shit. You have no one, Chloe, and from the looks of it you ain't got a brain either."

Slap.

My head turns to the side, but the smile doesn't fall from my face.

"I could kill you right now." She hisses in my face, grabbing the back of my head and turning me back to face her.