Chapter 1 - "Wow..."

McKayla Singh woke up with the sunrise. It was a tradition for her ever since her mom... disappeared. Everyone told her to move on. Her mother was dead and that was it. But she refused to believe that. She would find her mother; dead or alive.

'Mick', as her friends called her, pulled apart the braid she had done in her sleek black hair the night before, staring at the beautiful portrait of her, her mother, and her father, hanging on the wall.

She got her long raven hair from her father, but her beautiful ice blue eyes were purely her mother's. She moved around falling into the motions she went through every day getting ready.

All of a sudden she was pulled out of her trance by talking.

"What do you mean Heath stole all the birdseed again?"

"I told you. That pesky squirrel keeps eating all of our food!"

"Louisa?" Mick called out of the bathroom where she was applying lipgloss and putting her hair up in a way where it wouldn't get tangled when she put on her crown.

"Are you out there Louisa?"

The talking stopped as soon as she spoke up. She peeked out the door, looking for the people the voices belonged to. She returned to her task when she was sufficiently assured that there was no one there and that she must be going crazy.

After she styled her hair in a low braided bun. Pulling out a few pieces to frame her face, she headed over to her closet to pick out a suitable dress.

"Retreo, get back here before the princess sees you and freaks out!"

"I'll be fine, Allison. You need to calm down. Live on the wild side!"

"I live in a tree, Retreo! How could I possibly not live on the wild side?"

McKayla froze. Princess? They were talking about her. As the daughter of King Keegan, she was technically a princess, though she chose not to use titles often, as it led to the discussion of her mother. Why had the queen disappeared? Where did she go? Was she dead?

"He- hello?" Mick called into the empty room. Nothing but silence. She walked over to the door which connected to her governesses room, tripping more than once. Louisa had taken care of Mick's mother throughout the pregnancy and had never left her side for long ever since. Although no one could replace her mother, Louisa was more of a motherly figure or mentor in Mick's life.

"Yes, princess Mick?" She asked, the concern lacing her eyes not matching the light smile that played at her soft, kind features. The 'Princess Mick' was a sort of compromise between the two. Louisa was determined not to lose the princess title but McKayla was able to convince the stubborn governess to use her nickname instead of her given name.

"Did you hear anyone talking just now, Louisa?" Mick's voice shook against her will.

"No. Did you hear someone?" The older lady's features hardened as she reached for her sash tied around her waist, which held throwing stars. Despite her age, Louisa was trained in multiple defense tactics. Being a princess was dangerous and exhausting.

After thoroughly checking that not a single soul was in the room besides herself and Mick, she circled back to her charge.

"You probably just heard some of the maids in the hall," Louisa said as if that explained everything.

"Yeah. That must have been it. " McKayla said, more to convince herself than anything. She got up to finish her routine, while Louisa left to finish getting ready as well.

But when she came out of her closet, a simple ice blue knee-length dress on, she heard a noise at her window. And as she slowly turned around, she was greeted with a furry, grey face.

Two beady but kind eyes were barely visible in the black patches that formed what looked like a mask—and from the mouth attached to that fuzzy face came one breathy word.

"Wow.." 

Written by Sav
Word count: 678