CHAPTER NINE

I haul myself onto the first slippery boulder and then carefully, very carefully, lower myself onto the path I glimpsed

I haul myself onto the first slippery boulder and then carefully, very carefully, lower myself onto the path I glimpsed. It's a faint, very narrow line of dirt that weaves its way around the enormous boulders. I follow it, slowly ascending.

It's so slippery, I have to grip the rocks around me just to keep my footing. They cut across my palms painfully as I make my way up the narrow path. The crash of the ocean merges with my fast breathing, and it takes all my focus just to stay upright as I climb. The fog is dense, but the wind blows through, dispersing it a bit so I can see better.

Another flash of light hits me.

I glance up, but it's already gone.

The moon has disappeared behind the clouds again, and it's too misty and dark to see anything a foot in front of me.

It feels like I'll never reach the top, when suddenly the path ends, and I'm standing beside a chest-high ledge. I take a deep breath and try to get a grip on the slippery rock.

Please don't let me fall.

I lift myself up, shivering and straining, and roll onto the top of the Rock.

I blow out a breath and stay crouched there for a moment, shivering and panting from exertion.

Whew.

A gust of wind hits me, and I hunch lower, my teeth chattering. The fog blows off to the side, leaving a thin mist in its place.

The top of the Rock is even larger than I thought it was. It extends before me into darkness, sloping gently upward, a light mist swirling across its surface.

It's so dark. And I don't see whoever was just up here.

Cold fear settles over me, and whatever crazy feeling drove me up here vanishes, leaving me feeling as foggy as this beach.

What the hell was I thinking, coming up here? I'm terrified of heights!

I'm still hunched down, and I lean forward a little, looking for any sign of people. My hand slips on the wet rock, and I let out a squeak, flailing wildly to regain my grip. I fall sideways, and sharp pain shoots through my knee as I catch myself.

The surface of the Rock might have the look of jagged uneven rock from afar. But it's a well-polished surface, smoothed by rain, wind, and seawater over the centuries.

Another strong gust of wind knocks into me, and I crouch lower, both palms gripping the slippery rock.

Out of nowhere, the fog thickens to the point where I can hardly see my own hands in front of me.

"Hello?" I call out, hoping whoever called my name is nearby.

The roar of the wind and ocean below swallow up my voice.

"Hello?"

This was so dumb. I don't understand what possessed me down there. On what planet would I ever do any of this? This isn't me.