Chapter 30: Catch Up

Fitz and Simmons sat across from Y/N, smiles beaming from ear to ear. Their infatuation with each other was so cute it could make a normal person sick, but Y/N reveled in it. They loved to see their friends so happy. They dreamed of the day they'd get to introduce them to Yelena and show the same affection.

"You got a vacation. Not fair!" Fitz yelled as he tipped his drink back.

"In a sense, yeah but I still did a lot of work!"

Simmons piped up, "From what you'd texted me, it sounds like you got along pretty well with Nat's sister too. A vacation AND a new girl? We love that for you."

Y/N winced but tried to smile through it. They hadn't told her what happened yet. Simmons was their outlet aside from Nat while they'd been traveling. Many texts gushing over Yelena had been sent and Y/N had known she'd never say a word.

Until now sadly, but they couldn't blame her. She was excited and had no updates since they landed.

"Sort of? You could say that I guess."

Simmons' smile fell a bit as she looked at Fitz, who looked just as confused. Y/N had lost their eyes in their food, pushing it around with their fork. "You've been drooling over this girl for over a month. You mean to tell me nothing happened?"

They scratched the back of their neck before laying their hand back on the table. How much was too much to let them in on? "It's... complicated."

Not a lie. It was complicated. Nothing about their situation was truly set in stone, but they didn't know how to talk about it with someone who hadn't been there. Plus, Daisy was their friend as well. What had happened with her had escalated their issues with Yelena.

Both Simmons and Fitz shared a look before glancing back at Y/N, who still could not make eye contact. "Well, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. Just know we're here if you do," Simmons smiled.

"Thank you. I know. I love you guys, I do..." They thought about telling them the whole spiel. "but maybe it'll work itself out before I need to explain."

Luckily, Simmons was quick on her feet and able to shift gears. The conversation changed from Y/N's trip to what all had happened in the hub since they'd left with Nat. Ward had gotten a new girlfriend but quickly lost her. Coulson had gone through more procedures to make sure his health was in check. Daisy...

Well, Daisy hadn't meant to come up. Fitz had been talking about an issue with Ward and how his crush on her had ruined his relationship with his new girlfriend.

"I always knew he liked Daisy," Y/N laughed as they picked around at their food. They weren't jealous, but they were annoyed. Ward had been who she'd fallen into when she chose to end their relationship.

Fitz shifted in his seat, "Sorry, Y/N. I didn't mean to-"

"Don't apologize. It's okay, really. Honestly, I wish they'd just get together. Maybe then she'd leave me the fuck alone." they rubbed their temples, trying to forget the last time they'd seen her.

Simmons sat up a bit, "She told me about her visit with you."

Y/N laughed, "So you know that she kissed me?"

Another laugh fell from both Y/N and Simmons when Fitz choked on his bite before he yelled, "She what?!?"

"I don't know what she thought was going to happen, but I almost killed her."

Simmons squinted before asking, "After she kissed you, did you see her again? Just curious."

"No..." their eyebrows furrowed, "I ran off and left her with Nat. Why?" Another shared glance between her and Fitz. "Okay, cute. I love that you two are so in tune with each other, but explain why you just asked that."

She set her fork down before adjusting the napkin placed neatly in her lap, "So you didn't talk to her or see her?"

"Simmons, so help me god-"

"Yeah, okay. Sorry, got it. Well, when she got back she was not in the best shape."

Simmons trailed off, leaving them hanging. "Spit it out," Y/N interjected.

Fitz cut in, "When she got back, Y/N... She was bruised. We asked her what happened, but she wouldn't say. We thought you two had gotten into it and we didn't want to pry but..."

Y/N laughed so hard they nearly choked, "Oh my god, you think I would've hit Daisy?!"

"We didn't know!" Simmons yelled. "We had no clue what happened. She's fine, just very black, purple, and blue."

Nat really did it, they thought. Son of a bitch.

"Well, I left her with Nat. If you all remember what I held her back from before..."

They both nodded, not at all surprised that it had been Nat on the other end of Daisy's injuries. They hadn't even suspected anything considering Nat looked untouched, but there was no way Daisy would've stood a chance even if she did put up a fight.

Part of Y/N found it hilarious, but part of them was upset with themselves. Reveling in her pain wasn't something enjoyable. Daisy hurt them, but they could never hate her. It's not that they still had feelings or even really cared much for her, but it felt wrong to feel so happy about it. "I'm going to get coffee with her here in a few actually. So I'll see it for myself. Speaking of which..."

Y/N looked down at their watch, it was now leaning toward 11:05. They'd have to head out in order to not be late. "Can I Venmo you all for this so that I don't keep her waiting? I don't want to be there forever."

Simmons waved them off, "Don't worry about it. It's on me."

They stood, wrapping both Fitz and Simmons in a hug. "I love you guys. Thank you. I'll see you at home." Y/N shot Daisy a text letting her know that they'd be on their way.

Just as they stepped out the door, the check was sat on their table. Simmons gently shifted it toward Fitz, who threw his hands up. "Y/N said it was on you. Can't make a liar out of them, love." Simmons laughed, placing a kiss on his cheek.