Emma's Pov (3)

Emma Eric

The school headmistress Mrs. Patty Habril—from her looks I'm guessing she's a sexagenarian, sits across from me and mummy Joana.

I grimace when I perceive a stale odor from her, I look closely, she has greenish debris stuck in between her teeth and without care she speaks negligently, releasing mists of spit at us.

I glance at my mum to see if she feels irritated but she's so engulfed in what the older woman is saying, with such concentration nodding and consenting with whatever they are talking about.

Nobody can tell how my mum ever really feels, she's a genius at masking her feelings that you'd buy the lie easily. But I know that she's feigning interest in what principal Patty's saying and she's also pretending to be happy we moved to Maryland to start a new life.

I begrudge her for that secretly, I hate that she punished herself for situations that she can't control.

Knowing she's hypertensive didn't make her ever put herself first.

I watched her bony arms and collarbones which were evident in her off-shoulder suede. But she's a beauty to behold, the slender nature came in handy, making her look like a New York Times model with her full black hair.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any of her nice features, not even her cheekbones or thin lips. Makes me wonder who I take after. I know for certain it isn't my birth father.

"Emma, are you alright? you seem distant. Principal Patty asked you a question" Mummy touches my plump cheeks in concern.

"I'm fine, just getting used to the new environment" I lie.

"So Miss Emma Eric" principal Patty continues.

"You know it's only A list students we accept at May Blossom high in senior year. So I hope you make us proud, particularly your mother who has put in so much effort for you"

I force an obsequious smile while nodding like a lizard as I struggle not to throw up the bowl of oat I had this morning but mummy spoilt the charade.

"Say something dear, don't just nod" Mum nudges me vehemently.

I sit up straight wondering what was so authoritative about this old principal that mummy's scared of getting into her bad books.

"Yes, I'll make sure of it" I force, clenching my teeth to prevent the stale smell from taking over my whole being.

This old lady needs a total makeover. I mean, how can a prestigious school hand such crucial seat to someone like her? If she can't take care of her dental health then how well can she manage the school ? This school needs to reconsider a lot.

I'm starting to get bad vibes at this point, maybe I'll convince mummy Joana to take a little break from trying to push me off to the closest school ready to accept me.

We finally leave the musty-smelling office and head to the bursary department to get my school paraphernalia. I'm supposed to start school today but don't feel the vibe in me so I ask mummy to take me home with her, she hesitates but knowing how stubborn I can be she agrees and we leave in her beetle car.

><{{{(•>

Mummy Joana is the first to enter the house while I lock the garage, and that's when I hear her call out to someone.

"Fred you came back?"

My mood changes instantly, I feel betrayed by my mother. The undeniable euphoria in her tone is frustrating.

When it comes to Fred, nothing ever makes sense again, she just swims in the one-sided love she feels and has failed to see.

Earlier, Mummy and I had discussed not letting Fred into our lives ever again after moving to a new home because he made our lives miserable and a rollercoaster of pain, tears, and happiness.

I walk in on them boldly, maybe he thought I'd be in school today but I wasn't. He looks healthy for someone who left his family in pieces, it ached my heart. I can't behold him any longer than I can tolerate him so I walk ahead and made for the stairs.

"Hey, young lady! Have you gone blind?" Fred blurts in shock.

The nerve of that man, I give him a wicked grin and think of a nice reply.

"Oh, I almost forgot you were a part of our lives" I shrug like it's the most normal thing for a teenager to say to her parent.

He furiously launches himself at me but Mum is quick enough to hold him down.

"Leave me Joana, I'll show this girl what respect is with my bare hands" he explodes but I stand my ground watching his blazing eyes on me, giving me a little satisfaction. Something riled him up...

"me."

"Fred!! Fred!!!! stop it she's only a child, you might hurt her" Mummy pleads.

It pains me how much affection she still has for him even after what he did to her, us.

"It's you I blame for not teaching her manners! Is this how she goes about insulting people if she can talk back at her father with disrespect?!!" he yells at my mum while she keeps a poker face.

Without care, I whiplash him with a more bitter statement.

"I should have known you still considered yourself a parent" I say, sighing in contempt.

In a twinkle he rushes after me, pushing mum away roughly.
My heart is banging and my hands are jittery with fear as I maneuver the stairs and slam my door room heavily locking it in the process.

Minutes later, I can hear my mum and dad exchange hurtful words at each other in the aisle while I lean on the wall beside the door catching my breath.

Their regular conflict lasted for minutes until I heard nothing. Only the shuffling of mom's slippers as she entered the bathroom.
I feel regret for not holding my tongue and pity for my mother who has a delicate heart, I know Dad already left, and missing him made her restless for days.

Moving away from the wall, I open my drawer, take out the bundle of HB pencils, and try breaking them one after the other, chanting Fred's name.

After the healthy anger management exercise, I feel a little relief and plop on my bed for the rest of the day knowing fully well that mummy Joana would leave me alone.
.
.
.
><{{{(•>

Don't forget to ⭐️