Emma's Pov (7)

You need to know how relieved I felt when mummy Joana told me she bumped into a high school bestie from way back, at the salon. It's been a while since mum had real friends and hung out with real adults. If Fred wasn't in the picture then it was grannie's illness keeping her occupied.

So during their chit-chat, they realized they both live close by, though theirs was where most of the rich folks lived.

Edison street harbored both the rich and famous, the houses weren't just ones with a white picket fence. Whenever I took my regular walk around the area I sometimes wished mummy and I lived in one of those houses. At least it would earn us a lot of respect from neighbors and friends but mostly, especially Fred.

He wouldn't have the nerve to come around such luxury knowing that we were okay without him. Not that our present home was bad, it was way better than the former but the houses at Edison street were so intimidating I'll admit.

They had regular cleaners very early in the morning cleaning the area. Sometimes I take a while to watch the number of sleek cars moving out of their there, it was Wow.

I even heard a rumor that the hip-hop singer Rihanna owned a condo there but was hardly around. I'm not sure what to believe but it's very much possible. I just want to make friends with anyone who lives there. I'll be the happiest girl on earth.

So that brings me to the enthusiastic jittery feeling I've been having since last night when mum announced her friend Catherine invited us to her housewarming party today at her home in Edison Street.

My mouth was wide open for a while and I'm sure if mummy hadn't shut it for me, flies would've. I'm finally making friends there, I'm finally going to be hanging out at a sleek mansion with automatic doors and windows. They might even have private jets parked in the backyard. I hoped.

And the best thing about this news is that Catherine's kids are also schooling at May blossom high.

Damn! Can it get any better? I thought.

I just need to play my big girl cards right and charm the rich spoiled kid. I bet she's less of a snob than I am but I have to tune down on my anger issues. I know it kinda ruins stuff for me especially when someone is acting up.

I apply my mascara with ease and a nude kylie lipstick. I'm not one for heavy makeup because I'm a beautiful girl, well I guess because Manuel said so.

He was an unrequited love from my former school. My simp and bestie. I knew he loved me to the moon and would do anything just to be by my side. I hated nerds and Manuel was one, till date I didn't know how I could keep up with him as a friend since preschool.

Aside from him, a lot of guys who saw me through puberty then wouldn't just peek once.

I always get the stare, up till now I'm used to it so makeup has never been on my list but May blossom high has shaken my confidence level. With everyone engulfed in themselves to care about others. Money and reputation mattered a lot I realize, I need to up my game a notch at least.

Mummy Joana peeps into my room looking tasty like she's single. She's wearing a purple suede slit gown and her hair is intact with tendrils. I'm so jealous of her, even without makeup or a lip shade she's still breathtaking. I watch with admiration, she deserves a man who will worship the ground she walks on, every step she takes, and won't let a tear fall off her beautiful face. She's meant for luxury.

If only I look exactly like her, I'd be married to a rich man living at Edison street. I loved that street.

Mum looks me up and down, she's always conscious of what I wear as if I'd shame her with my love for skimpy things but not today. I wanted to look classy, not hot like a club girl type.