第8章 - Who She Truly Is

A/N: Ooi Ocha is a type of green tea drink commonly sold in Japan.

Someone messaged me asking if they could write fanfiction for this story. I'm flattered that this story is good enough for someone to consider writing a fanfiction about its characters. I'm completely fine with anyone doing that. You're free to write what you want. Just a warning, I will most likely not read it. Not because I don't want to but because I have a busy schedule and can barely make time to write as it is (if I had time then I would make this a doujinshi instead haha)

 Not because I don't want to but because I have a busy schedule and can barely make time to write as it is (if I had time then I would make this a doujinshi instead haha)

Maki watched her best friend delicately arrange the array of Casablanca Lilies in a glass vase. They were flowers that Satoru had bought Hiyori while he was on his mission. Maki wrinkled her nose at the memory of the stupid grin on Satoru's face when he brought his daughter her favorite flowers - Casablanca Lilies. He was a doting father to Hiyori but, to Maki, he was still really annoying.

"I don't get it. What's the point of arranging these flowers?" Maki asked. Hiyori smiled.

"Well, flowers have a lot of meaning in them. I like to arrange them in a proper manner as a sort of thank you for the gift" Hiyori replied. Maki raised an eyebrow.

"Meaning?"

"That's right. They're funeral flowers" Maki's brows furrowed.

"That blindfolded dumbass got you funeral flowers?!" She said in disbelief. 'What kind of idiot gives his daughter funeral flowers? Wait, why are her favorite flowers even funeral flowers to begin with?'

"Well, they have more positive meaning than that. Casablanca Lilies represent celebration - a celebration of a life well-lived." Hiyori explained, picking up the glass vase. She examined it carefully before turning to look at Maki. Her violet-blue eyes shone with wisdom far beyond her years. Maki's brown eyes widened. A soft smile graced Hiyori's face.

"It's better to celebrate a person's life than curse them. Don't you think?"

In her life, Zen'in Maki valued her sister, Mai, the most. Mai was her heart. She was the reason why Maki wanted to become clan head - so she could build a better life in the Zen'in clan for Mai. But, while Mai was her heart, Hiyori was the only one in the world that Maki truly trusted wholeheartedly. If Maki was entirely honest, she valued Hiyori and Mai to almost the same degree. Never had Maki expected to have someone who broke through all the walls that she had built around herself since she was a kid until she met Hiyori.

Tsukuyo Hiyori was easy to like. She was put together. She was kind and had a charming smile. She was extremely level-headed and her calm nature made it easy to relax around her. At first, anyone would think she was perfect with her good grades, good personality, good looks, and immense strength. Heck, she was a special-grade sorcerer that was literally known as the Shinigami of Curses because of how powerful she was and she was the heir to the current strongest clan in jujutsu society. People who didn't know her well placed her on a pedestal just like they did her adoptive father. Maki hated to admit it but she had also thought Hiyori was perfect until she actually got to know her not as Gojo Hiyori, not even as Tsukuyo Hiyori, but as Hiyori.