04. The Grand Speech of Mr Rikkard Ambrose

For one long, interminable second, Mr Rikkard Ambrose stared at the banner. As for me?

Well, I gave it a second look. No reason not to admire perfection, right?

Rikkard Ambrose Foundation for Women's Suffrage and Equal Rights—stand up and live your dream!

I nodded, satisfied. Perfection indeed.

"Mrs Ambrose?"

"Yes, Dicky Darling?"

"What. Is. This?"

"Ah." I nodded to myself. "I get why you're surprised. Originally, I had intended to call it the Lillian Ambrose Women's Foundation for Suffrage and Equal Rights, but then I thought—why not name it after my beloved husband instead?" Beaming up at him, I snuggled against his side. "What better present could there be to celebrate our return from our honeymoon?"

"Mrs Ambrose?"

"Yes, Dicky Darling?"

"I will get you for this."

"True." Smirking, I patted my pregnant belly. "But not for the next few months, correct?"

A pause.

Quite a long one.

"... Correct."

My smirk grew just a tiny bit wider. "So, I have plenty of time to prepare my defences. Oh, and...?"

"Yes?" The word was a growl, squeezed out between clenched teeth.

I sent a sweet, innocent look up at him, batting my eyelashes. "It worked, right? I managed to surprise you?"

Another pause.

"I will get you for this. I will get you for this and punish you severely."

I gave his arm a hug. "I look forward to it."

Then I strode to the stage and stepped behind the lectern that had been erected in the very center. Ringing a small bell resting on the wood before me, I caught everyone's attention.

"Attention, please, everybody." With a welcoming smile on my face, I skimmed the assembled people with my gaze, ignoring the figure of Rikkard Ambrose desperately trying to shove his way through the crowd towards me. "Thank you for coming. I would like to welcome you all to the first event organized by the Rikkard Ambrose Foundation for Women's Suffrage and Equal Rights. We have all gathered here for one common cause, one just goal that is very close to my husband's heart, and that unites us in our fight for a better world of justice and equality. Now, I'm sure you're all expecting me to give a long winded speech, but I am a woman of few words, and not particularly good at speeches. So..."

Stepping back from the podium, I beamed. By now, Mr Ambrose had nearly reached the stage.

"...I'll leave that task to someone much more qualified. Please, Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen, give me your applause to welcome Rikkard Ambrose!"

Mr Ambrose stopped in his tracks. He blinked.

Oh, and did I mention I happened to be pointing at him?

Everyone's eyes focused on him.

"Ambrose!" a young woman called out. A young woman who just happened to have a close resemblance to Patsy.

"Ambrose!" a few other ladies shouted.

"Am-brose! Am-brose! Am-brose!" The chorus of cheers became louder and louder. My smile widened. It was so nice to see my husband was appreciated!