XLIV

Heaving, you lean your body against the wall of the hospital, fatigue taking over your body after travelling from Yokohama to Shibuya as fast as you can, heartbeat going a mile a minute after you received the call from Manjiro. You try your best to get as much air into your lungs as much as possible while you wipe away the sweat that has accumulated on your neck and face after running straight from the train station to the hospital, forgetting about calling Wakasa to drive you himself due to the panic overtaking your common sense.

Just the thought of any of the kids having to be sent to the hospital immediately puts your mind in a fight or flight mode, always unsure of what you'll see when you finally arrive.

After what seems to be a lifetime of trying to catch your breath, you finally gain enough strength to sprint over to the operating room where you can see the Toman captains, all of them hunching over in their seats or leaning against the wall by the door.

Hearing your footsteps, you can see that the tension in their bodies alleviated a little, a small relief smile making its way to their faces as Manjiro immediately makes his way to you, arms wrapping around you ina hug to which you pull him in closer, hand making its way to his hair as you start to feel him shake in your hold, trying his best to hold in his tears in order to not show the others.

"Y/N-nee... I'm gonna go for a bit... I need fresh air." You hear Manjiro whisper after a few seconds of hugging. Nodding your head, you slowly let go of him, making sure to press a kiss to his forehead before watching him walk off to the direction of the hospital's garden.

After you're sure that he's out of the vicinity, you face the others as well, eyes immediately trained on Mitsuya and Keisuke who instantly made their way to you, the two kids giving you a brief hug though you can feel just how tired they both are. From the numerous bruises and wounds littering their skin, the slump of their body against yours and the heaviness of their voice. It makes you sigh.

"Did the doctors say anything yet?"

Shaking their heads, they pull away from your embrace, with Keisuke going back to leaning against the wall beside Chifuyu while Mitsuya stayed by your side, a heavy sigh leaving his lips as he starts talking. "Not yet, they just said that it might take hours before they finish since he got stabbed at such a sensitive area. It might have hit one of his organs though they haven't said anything else after. We've just been waiting for an hour right now."

Nodding, you let out a sigh, hand raking through your hair as you look over the room, making brief eye contact with a blond boy who immediately darts away from your look, a deep blush on his face.

Raising your eyebrow, you continue to look over the boy's direction until Mitsuya finally notices. "Oh, that's Hanagaki Takemichi." He tells you before gesturing for the blond to make his way over.

The name sounds familiar, almost like you've seen him before. "Is he a new recruit?" You ask as Takemichi slowly makes his way over to you, the blush on his face darkening the closer he gets.

"Not really. Mikey didn't say anything about him being a member, just kinda, let's him tag along?"

Humming, you give the blond boy a small smile, trying to be as friendly as possible despite the circumstances. "Hanagaki Takemichi, right? I feel like I've seen you before-" Suddenly, your eyes widen, finally remembering where you first saw him before today. "Wait. You're the boy at the brothel, right-"

Before you can finish, the door to the operating room opens, your attention immediately diverted from the blushing mess of a boy to the doctor who bows to all of you. Pulling down his mask, a reassuring smile makes its way to his lips as his eyes immediately dart to you. "Ryuuguji-san, your brother is now in a stable condition, the surgery was a success, we'll just have to make him stay in the hospital for a week to make sure that the stitches don't open up and that it starts healing soon."