Chapter 38

It was you, I needed the mostWhen I cradled my heart to sleepI would have broken all the tiesonly if you had stopped,coming to me in my dreams-Sidra

When I cradled my heart to sleep
I would have broken all the ties
only if you had stopped,
coming to me in my dreams
-Sidra

/////

She wore sky blue today and silver earrings decorated her ears. She was back to her home. Zaman had made her a hairstyle too, it was nothing but a few strands of her hair pinned on the back of her head and the rest were down on her back.

She took out the pan from the oven and placed it on the kitchen island so that their pizza could cool down a bit.

She sliced the pizza and forwarded the plate to her husband who was impatiently waiting for it since the past hour.

"I think we over-cooked it. Bread is crispy."

"Ya. How'd you cook that back in your home?" He asked.

"I used to cook it in a pan. It was my first time with oven."

"I see." He nodded. "It tastes good nonetheless."

"Thank you." She replied as they sat down on the wooden dining table in a corner of their kitchen. "Why do you like cheese so much?"

"May be because I am too cheesy." He answered with a smug smile.

"Lame joke." She suppressed her chuckle.

"Hm. May be." He leaned towards her and kissed her cheek. "You really look cute with your hair down."

"Thank you. Its not me...beauty is in the eyes of beholder."

"Catchy."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." He squeezed out some ketchup for himself in the plate.

"How one can know about the true nature of the other?"

"By spending time with them." He uncannily replied.

Wasn't this something her mother had said?

"Time is the best solution for everything. It takes the pain away, heals our wounds, makes us strong, teaches us to live with betrayals and it makes us believe that it won't stay the same. It changes. Time changes, Amarha, and so do us. It's the hard times of your life that manifests the true face of people hiding in the skin of sheep."

She just stared at him as he answered her question without knowing that he took away all of her doubts with his words.

Her mother was wrong. Zaman wasn't nice to her just because they were in the initial phase of their married life but because that's what he was-- a nice bloke who ended up a husband to a weirdest girl who couldn't even bake a nice pizza for him in return.

She stared at her plate, lost in her thoughts. A tap on her shoulder from Zaman brought her back.

"I am sorry. You were saying?"