forty-one

My grandparents loved him

Hell, everyone fucking loved him.

Dinner went amazingly well, better than I could have ever expected. Carson kept smiles on mine and my grandparents faces the entire dinner. My grandparents took a quick liking to both Dominic and Carson.

They were very excited about gaining a grandson with my mom's upcoming nuptials. I couldn't tell who was more excited, Dominic or my grandparents.

At some point in dinner my grandparents just completely forgot about me and focused all their attention on the guys.

It was as if they forgot who they came here to see.

And as expected, the conversation of Edwards was brought up.My grandparents threw not so subtle digs at him here and there.

They didn't know the full extent of my relationship with him, I didn't want to make a scene in the restaurant. I knew that my grandmother would be in hysterics, and my grandfather would want his head on a fucking stake.

Dinner wasn't the time nor place to tell them about everything that went down between me and Edwards.

" So will you be gracing us with your presence this summer?" My grandmother asked as we stood on the curb waiting for the valet to pull up with our vehicles. I cling to her arms, my head nestled in her neck as she rubs my back.

" Why would I ever deny you guys my presence?" I lifted my head, lips tugged up as she pressed a kiss to my temple. " Of course I'll be staying with you this summer."

I hadn't been to London in a while. My grandparents mostly visited America during the holidays so I rarely made the trip out there, much to my dismay.

" I like him." Grandma winks," I haven't seen you smile this big in a while, and if he manages to do that then he's alright in my book."

I smile, pressing a kiss to her cheek as the headlights of Jax's vehicle blind us temporarily. " I'm glad that you like him. He makes me happier than I could've ever imagined, grandma."

Carson, Dominic, and Rhegan start approaching us as our car pulls up behind Jax's. " Good," she palms my cheeks, her ring biting into my skin as she presses a kiss to the center of my forehead.

" Only the best man deserves your love and heart of gold, Ayanna."

He is the best man... for me at least.

I let go of my grandma's body and moved around to hug my grandfather. He wraps me in his arms tightly, squeezing me so hard it felt as if my lungs would combust.

"Maybe before we leave we can catch one of your games." Grandpa suggested as we approached our vehicles. Carson smiled," We would like that very much, sir."

Grandpa chucked, shaking his head at Carson's continuous use of the formality. " Nigel. You can call me Nigel."

Carson dips his head bringing his hand up to scratch the back of his neck. " Sorry si— Nigel. Sorry, Nigel," he chuckled as my grandfather patted his shoulder.