twenty eight.

─☼☼☼─

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙊𝙏𝙏𝙀 𝙎𝙋𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝘼 good portion of an hour indulging Willa by listening to her recount of the current situation with John B. The bubbly blonde believed that she had it all figured out, that she knew exactly why John B had done it and what had unfolded that day on the airstrip.

Widening her eyes in false surprise and gasping in all the right places, Charlotte made it seem that she was none too the wiser on the latest town gossip. 

By the time Willa had finally finished her speil, Charlotte had received about twenty texts from Kiara telling her to meet them at The Wreck

When she managed to bid adieu to her friend, Charlotte had met up with the younger kids who had filled her in on the current happenings; they hadn't gotten Sarah out, which led Charlotte to believe someone else must have helped her escape Tannyhill (best guess was Wheezie), they had also informed her that tomorrow afternoon they would be stealing a boat and meeting John B so he and Sarah could get the hell off of this island. 

She had told them all about the manhunt at Kelce's place, and how John B had managed to get away. She let them know that she spoke to him, that he was okay. 

But even with the reassurance that he had made it to temporary safety, hopefully with Sarah, Charlotte could not shake the darkness looming over her. 

The worries plagued her thoughts as the remaining four of them found refuge in the Carrera's restaurant for the night. By early morning, she felt like she had gotten less than a couple hours of sleep. 

"You look like shit." JJ commented as he passed her a fresh cup of coffee. 

Glaring at him, Charlotte accepted the mug and greedily brought it to her lips. "I couldn't sleep." She explained as he settled into the booth across from her. "My mind wouldn't stop."

JJ dipped his head slightly, lifting it only to glance outside where sirens could still be hear blaring. There had been little reprieve, even overnight. "He's pinched for sure." His voice dripped with defeat. 

Pope sat up from where he had been sleeping, rubbing his eyes. "Nah." He argued. "They wouldn't still be patrolling if they had gotten him."

"You know," Kiara started, voice thick with sleep. "We were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too."

Charlotte glanced around at the three of them, for once grateful that she hadn't been with them. They needed at least one person that the cops weren't after...yet. 

Pope all but ignored the fact that the words had come from Kiara, and instead only focused on JJ and Charlotte. "Well, if we're going to be outlaws, we might as well help John B."

"So we find him before they do." Charlotte deduced. "That's the only way we can help right now."

Pope gave a small nod as he took the keys for JJ's bike. "I'm going to go get gas for the boat."

"Hey," Kiara called softly as he made for the door. "You be careful, alright?"

A look of distaste covered Pope's face as he glanced at her for a moment before once again addressing the other two. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."