Chapter 370: She's Finally Awake

Bam!

Tanya closed the door right after saying that.

Joel: “…”

Joel could faintly hear Pete ask, “Was it not Mommy at the door, God-mom? Who was it, then?”

“Oh, just an annoying fly,” replied Tanya.

Joel: “…”

Half an hour later.

The perturbed and distracted Tanya glanced at the window.

The moment she did, she found herself stunned.

Joel was standing at the door, his tall and straight figure casting a long, drawn-out shadow on the ground.

The dazed Tanya felt as if she had gone back a few years in time. Back then, she would always see a figure like that standing outside every time she walked out of the classroom after class.

At that time, the sight of the man had made her excited and happy.

But the figure instead seemed somewhat solitary and lonely now, making her sad.

Tanya withdrew her gaze, lowered her head, and looked at the floor. Complicated emotions churned in the depths of her heart.

Sometime later, when Tanya looked up once more, she found that the figure at the door was gone. An empty feeling welled up in her.

She couldn’t tell what kind of feeling it was. She forced a smile, looked at Pete, and said, “Your mommy should be home soon.”

Pete nodded. However, he then said, “Uncle Joel looks unwell to me, though.”

Unwell?

Tanya followed his gaze and looked over to see that Joel had changed positions at some point. He was now standing in a corner visible from the living room window.

His head was down, and he had one hand pressed against his abdomen and the other against the wall for support.

She couldn’t tell whether it was the lighting or because he really was unwell, but he looked as pale as a sheet. His lips were so pale that they were practically transparent, and there was cold sweat on his forehead.

“Uncle Joel must be in pain, right? Why not let him in, God-mom?”

Pete’s words interrupted Tanya’s thoughts.

She said coldly, “It has nothing to do with me even if he’s dead.”

Yet, despite saying that, she kept looking outside.

She couldn’t help but sneer deep down.

It was the same old trick.

He always acted weak and frail back when they were still in school. Every time he made her angry, he would always stand outside their dormitory. Even when it rained, he simply refused to leave.

He never apologized, but always stood there so stubbornly so that she would relent.

She had been so naive at that time.

When the sun was bright and glaring, she would worry that he would be sunburnt. When it rained, she would worry that he would get drenched…

He really had her wrapped around his little finger.

Her heart was as hard as iron now, though, so how would she possibly still be deceived by his little tricks?

Besides, it was impossible for him to leave the house without bodyguards or his personal assistant. After all, as the head of the Smiths, his status was awfully noble and prestigious!