Chapter Seventy-Nine

A/N – JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU GUYS THINK MUCH WOULD CHANGE IF ABBY DIDN'T BECOME A VAMPIRE?? LIKE IF I FOUND A WAY AROUND IT??

....

It is awkward and quiet in the living room of the Salvatore house. There is just something about Elijah's presence that bugs the shit out of Daphne. She clutches to her wand, holding it over her knee. Damon's hand on her other knee, pretty much stopping her from doing anything she'll regret. She's smart. Really smart, but her family is in danger, and that can make people act irrationally. Daphne is one of those people. She is losing her patience with these people and the things they have done to her family and friends. She is beginning to itch towards using spells she is not allowed to use, again. Imperious is one thing, but the others. She shouldn't. But she might just. Just to get this over with. Just to free her home and everyone she cares about, everyone she has come to care about. She'd really risk her freedom to keep them safe. Stefan enters the house, closing the door behind him rather loudly.

"Daphne!?" He shouts through the house, looking for her. He's already tried the Gilbert house. "I can't find her anywhere" He walks into the living room and sees Elijah sitting by the fireplace, talking to Damon and Daphne, both of whom look very tense. This is clearly not a good time, or a good sign.

"Hello, Stefan" Elijah greets with a smug smirk. Stefan glances between them.

"He has Elena" Daphne points out, Damon's fingers tightening on her knee to stop her from lunging. She is so very close to snapping at Elijah here. With every word that leaves his mouth.

"Actually, she's with Rebekah" Elijah corrects her and she clenches her jaw. "As you can imagine, my sister is just dying to tear her throat out. So...if you want to save Elena's life, I need you to help me stop my mother"

"I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but when it comes to killing thousand-year-old resurrected witches, I'm a little rusty" Damon snarks back.

"Yes, unfortunately, even when killed my mother doesn't seem to want to stay dead" Elijah agrees. "Not with the spirits of nature at her side"

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Stefan asks, moving closer to join them.

"The witches that released my mother, she's drawing her power from their bloodline, that line needs to be broken" Elijah turns to look at Daphne. "And where your little ancient witch comes in...."

"Look, I know there are spells for breaking witch bloodlines. In theory" Daphne admits. "But I've never attempted a spell like this, and it would be interfering with traditional practices, our magics are fundamentally different, spells would need adjusting, that takes time" She lets out a breath. "And no offence" She starts. "Can't we just kill your mother?"

"You have until six minutes after nine to severe the bloodline or tell me where the witches are" Elijah stands from his seat, ignoring her question. It might just be easier for them to kill Esther at this point.

"Oh, how super-specific of you" Damon mumbles.

"By 9:07, the moon will be full, my mother will have the power she needs to kill me and my family" Elijah argues. "If you do not stop her before then, Rebekah will kill Elena. So we all have our timeline? I suggest you get started" Elijah starts walking towards the exit. Damon and Stefan share a look as Daphne clenches her jaw. She should have taken up Lyra's offer to go work with her and the dragons. That would have been safer.

"Red" Damon shifts from his seat to crouch at her side. "This spell" She nods a little. "It's not one of those that will get you into wizard prison or anything, right?" She snorts a little and looks at him.

"No" She assures him softly. "There are only three of those spells, I already used one....and we're not quite there yet, to use the worst one"

"But getting close?" Damon asks, she hums a little and then nods. "Well, what if I told you I had a less witchy plan" Stefan and Daphne both give him a look to explain. "I mean you still need to cut off Esther from being powered up by the Bennett witches, but..." Damon moves to his drinks cabinet and pulls something from behind it. A silver dagger.

"You want to dagger Elijah?" Stefan asks, Daphne frowns a little.

"What's with the blade?" She inquires.

"Magical slumber for the original that is..." Damon mocks stabbing with the dagger. "But...right now...They're all linked. One goes down, they all go down. The witches live, Esther is cut off, Elena's safe, problem solved"

"We don't know if that'll affect Klaus" Stefan argues.

"Ironically, Klaus isn't our current problem" Damon states with a sigh.

"Dagger is lethal to any vampire who uses it" Stefan points out. Damon nods in agreement.

"Well, I just so happen to know someone crazy enough to give it a shot" He counters and then turns to Daphne. "What do you need for this spell?" She lets out a breath and scratches at her knee, thinking.

"I need my trunk" She offers. "The big Victorian trunk at the end of my bed...it has all my witch supplies in..." Damon moves closer to her as she stands.

"If you don't want to do this" Damon whispers as he touches her cheek and then her neck

"It doesn't matter" She argues. "It's Elena...." He lets out a breath and nods. "I can do this" She assures him. Damon nods, firmer this time, he believes her, he believes in her, he kisses her head and then moves away to get what she needs. This spell is going to take it out of her. It's not a bad spell. It is not making dinner or creating fire. This is heavy-duty magic. Dangerous. She scratches at the back of her head as she contemplates actually doing it. She's never, ever even come close to considering using a spell like this. And likely for good reason.