Chapter 43: The Wanderers

chapter 43: the wanderers •••

The noises of the cantina surrounding you seem to get louder and louder, despite the fact no one else is entering. You look around, nervous. It's been too long since you were surrounded by this many strangers—and sitting here alone doesn't make it any better, despite the blaster on your hip.

Your daughter's sudden whine pulls you from your thoughts as you look down at her in the swaddle fastened against your chest. Zora's brown eyes are widened and full of tears ready to shed. She shows an ache you know all too well; an ache that you, too, share with her.

"Shhh, Zo, it's all right," you coo to her, keeping your voice low as you kiss her head. "He'll be back soon."

You're not happy with Din's whereabouts, but he made it clear before you left Sorgan that he needed to work and you needed to rest.

"It's time." Din's voice is soft as he sits beside you in your bed. Zora's already fast asleep in her crib, giving you two the freedom to talk about the bantha that's been in the room ever since her birth.

You sigh and avoid his gaze, as comforting as you know it'll be. "I wish we could stay here forever."

Din's hand is gentle as he cups your cheek, his other hand grasping your chin and lifting your head to face him. His eyes are full of all the same emotions you're feeling, but his voice is full of reassurance and wisdom as he speaks. "Sorgan is our sanctuary." His thumb brushes underneath your eye. "But we've yet to find our home."

Your jaw tightens at the truth of his words. "I know."

Din leans forward to kiss your forehead for further comfort. "We have to get a ship first." He faces you with a hopeful twinkle in his eye. "Peli just sent me a message. She said she's got us a replacement for the Crest."

You can't help returning his same joy with a smile. "Really?" Din nods, letting his own smile grow as you go on. "That's great! That means..." you trail off, waiting for Din to confirm your thought.

"We can finally visit Grogu." Din says his son's name without a wavering voice for the first time since leaving him. You set your hand over the one he has on your cheek and look at him with all the sweet pride and affection that swells in your chest. "But buying a ship means getting credits." Din's gaze avoids yours for a moment. "And I've heard rumors as to the whereabouts of the Armorer."

"Your tribe." You say the words in a single breath of disbelief.

"If anyone else survived." Din's eyes meet yours again. "The Armorer may be able to give us more information on the other Mandalorians... and the Darksaber." His last words come out almost as an afterthought. You grit your teeth; his training's been tumultuous. Din's as savvy as they come with weapons, but his struggle with the Darksaber gets worse and worse every time he's tried to pick it up.

"Well, I don't think the Armorer will have credits to spare." You narrow your eyes at him. "Where do you plan on getting them?"

Din takes a deep breath. You already know what he's going to say before he utters the words. "I'm going to get some work."

"Not without me." You look at him with disbelief, releasing a chuckle when the severity in his expression doesn't fade. "You seriously think you're going to go on dangerous jobs again and leave me behind?"

"Cyar'ika, ner kar'ta, you still need rest." Din's voice is thick with concern for you as he brushes his fingertips along the side of your face. "It's only been a month since you gave birth. Your body needs a long break." He shakes his head. "I can't risk something happening to you." Din glances at Zora's crib. "Or her."