Chapter 14

Toren could not believe he'd slept through the night cuddled up against Michael. He couldn't believe the bear let him. Or that he even slept during his wake hours.
The hospital messed up his sleep schedule. He ended up having to be awake during the day more often than not. Now here he was sleeping through his favorite time of night.

He groaned, but barely moved, finding it hard to want to. Not when Michael was probably the most comfortable pillow, aside from a few bones he'd grown numb too.

The bear's chest rose and fell in steady breaths beneath him. Could Alexander give him something like this? Could he make him feel so safe? He didn't think he spent enough time with him to tell, but somehow there was doubt at the back of his mind.

He felt Michael's arm around him tighten a little, then his fingers began to gently comb through his thick mane of dark peppered hair. Michael was awake.

"Good morning," came Michael's husky, sleep filled voice. It was deep like a gentle rumble and soothing in a way.

He groaned and buried himself against the bear. He was practically in his lap at this point. "I don't want to be awake during the day," he mumbled, though it came out less coherent than he intended.

Michael chuckled, catching a knot in Toren's hair and gently working it out before continuing.

Thank goodness Pop said he didn't have to come in till later that night. That gave him time to try and turn his day back around. What a pain. Maybe he'd leave it. He sighed.

"Do you want anything?" Michael asked, shifting his position beneath him.

Toren grabbed his arm and grumbled, "for you to not move."

The bear snorted in amusement, but complied to his demand.

"Momma used to hold me like this..." He murmured absentmindedly. "After a nightmare. She'd stroke my head and tell me how much she loved me and how safe I was with her." His eyes glazed over in nostalgia.

16 years ago...

"Toren."

His case worker's hand was firmly planted on his back. He stared up, wide eyed at the man and woman standing in front of him.

"This is Stephan and Rachel Grettly. They're going to be your new family."

He blinked slowly, his eyelids heavy from the heat of the sun.

"Say hello, Toren," his case worker persisted.

Toren let out a soft hoot and shrunk down whispering, "hello."

"They want to adopt you, so be extra nice." Then his case worker leaned in closer to Stephan. He whispered in a low breath, Toren could barely hear him. "Are you sure you want this one?"

Stephan was scary looking. He had this permanent scowl and sharp features. His eyes were hooded by his brow and they were narrowed, zeroed in on Toren, who tried to make himself look smaller.

"Yes," Stephan responded in an equally quiet voice. He handed the case worker a thick envelope. "Make sure everything's in order."

Rachel bent down in front of Toren and smiled warmly. "Hi there sweetie, do you wanna come inside?" She held her hand out for him to take.

He whirled around and hid himself behind his case worker's leg, shaking his head. This was not how they usually did things. He was supposed to get to meet the foster family first before being made to live with them. His seven year old brain was trying to wrap itself around the situation. His eyes skirted between the Grettlys, then up to his case worker.