Part 5.5

Me and Addy visit Ruby in her quarters. Addy brings a mini cauldron of her mother's soup and a bag of apple burst lollies.

Ruby's in bed when we come in. Her plum-coloured hair is loose, and her spectacles lie beside her on the dresser. "Hi," she says, still managing to smirk through her discomfort.

"Oh Ruby, I hope you're doing better," Addy says, worry in every line of her face. "I'm so sorry you got sick in our forest. I've got my mother's soup though...it works wonders!"

I struggle not to roll my eyes.

"Yeah, thanks Addy." Ruby grabs the bag of lollies and fumbles at the string. "It's just a fever or something. It's no big deal." She pops an apple burst into her mouth. "I had a great time with your tribe though. Strange thing - they refused to talk about witches, even though they've been blabbing about them to everyone for months now. Isn't that weird?" She smirks at me.

I cross my arms.

"The villagers in Aberdeen were more forthcoming though, so I didn't come home empty-handed."

"They're free to say whatever they want," I tell her. "Addy doesn't control the lives of her people. This isn't Taneria."

Ruby raises an eyebrow. "Are we really so different though? Kadreans originated in Taneria anyway. The Mamauri tribes are the only remnants of Kadrea's native people."

"Wait, what?" Was she serious? Taneria was basically a dictatorship. No one's ever seen its High Ruler, and no one crosses over into its borders.

"Don't you know history?" Ruby casually tosses an apple burst into her open mouth. She sinks back into her mess of plum strands.

"I know history," I quip back. "I just don't know everything about everyone ever. And I'm not interested in wild conspiracy theories."

"It's not a conspiracy theory," Ruby sighs. "Ask Addy. She's opened a history book before."

Addy fiddles nervously.

"Well," I say, "you seem to be doing just fine. So...see you tomorrow." I turn on my heel.

"Lily!" Addy admonishes me.

"What? You heard her. She's fine. I'm going to go take a nap."

Addy sighs. "I'll stay here with Ruby. I want to make sure her fever cools."

Her fever may cool, I think, but her conspiracy theories never will.