WHAT MADE YOU COME HERE?

it was friday afternoon when the bell rang signaling 5 minutes to class. ava was walking through the hallway on her phone and texting ethan.

 ava was walking through the hallway on her phone and texting ethan

it was true. ava had missed him, they had barely seen each other in the past few days, not alone at least. on the days where christian didn't have to be at the rec center, he was with ethan. and on the days ava could hang, ethan was busy. it was impossible for them to find one on one time lately.

ava was waiting to see the text ethan was about to send when she felt an arm around her shoulder, "how's my favorite brit?" brandon said, beaming down at her.

"im okay. on my way to the library." ava said as they continued walking through the hall. she noticed that his eyes were wandering as if he had been looking for someone.

ava quirked up an eyebrow, "the real question is how are you?" she asked, "are you looking for someone?"

brandon jerked his head back in her direction, "who? isabella?" a smile escaped ava's lips as he continued, "what have you seen her today?"

her eyes lit up for a moment, "i did see her like 40 minutes ago before class, of course i don't know where she was going." ava was rambling when brandon interrupted, "where was this? she's kinda avoiding me i think."

"trouble in paradise already b?" ava said right before the late bell rang. she quickly slid out from under his arm, missing the hesitant expression on his face, "it was on the second or third floor i don't remember to be truthful. but i got to run." she finished, patting his head and running down the hallway.

before he knew it, she was halfway down the hall, "you're rushing to the library?" brandon called out as he watched her go.

**

izzie walked into the music room, it was in the basement of the school. it wasn't usually used unless band needed practice ever since someone started a small fire trying to use the tuba as a bong last year.

she only went because she knew it was one of the few places teachers don't check for students skipping class.

when putting her bag down she saw rowan sitting across the room on a small plumb seat that mostly resembled a beanbag.

"if it isn't miss isabella taylor." rowan said shifting her body to face her.

"rowan," izzie hesitated between picking her bag back up and leaving or just sitting back down.

"you can stay. i don't bite." rowan said, picking at a tag on the seat cover. she was sitting with her knees to her chest and the tag looked worn out like she's picked at it a million times before.

"what made you come here?" rowan continued forcing izzie to speak.

izzie let her bag go and sat down on one of the steps used for choir. "to be honest, i don't know. i think im avoiding someone. im trying to find out whether i should be.." izzie paused, she really didn't know what to say.

she still didn't understand anything about what she may or may not be feeling for brandon and it wasn't something she could put into words yet. "i don't really know." she finished.

"well." rowan pulled out her small ziplock bag of edibles on hand at all times and took out a gummy worm, quickly popping it into her mouth. almost as if she knew the subject would be changed on her. rowan didn't like talking about herself, not even to herself.

izzie pushed a curl out of her face as she watched rowan self medicate, "so why are you here? besides all that of course." she said gesturing to rowan like her actions were a show.

"ever since i almost burned the floor down when i tried to make that tuba a bong, however that would've worked, i don't know, mr. wilson said as long as i don't try it again he would let me come in here when i needed a "mental break." whatever that means." rowan said reminiscing on her delinquency.

izzie couldn't stop the giggle that escaped her mouth, "octavia owes me 10 dollars, i knew that was you."

"what can i say." rowan said stuffing the bag back in her pockets, "about before.. were you talking about yorke?" she asked, albeit reluctantly.

"how'd you know?" isabella asked, refocusing on why she was there.

rowan pretend patted her head and sunk deeper in the seat, "not just worms for brains my friend."

rowan could tell that whatever was going on with her and him was kind of taking a toll on her, "honestly, if a guy has got you all wound up like you look right now, no offense, maybe it isn't worth it."

she had the night she and marceline became friends in her mind, "maybe it's best you re-evaluate and let yourself know if it's a good stress or a bad one."

izzie sat there in disbelief as if that's exactly what she needed to hear, "why are you kind of like an owl. a wise blonde owl."

"it's the hippie parents thing." rowan said, shrugging her shoulders and grinning.

**

"ms. sawyer please don't just stand there at my door. is there something you need?" ms. lightfoot said, barely looking up from her desk.

octavia came in and sat down, "well. yeah, actually."  she sighed clutching her bag at her side in frustration, "actually there's a guy that goes to this school that works at the rec center but when we spoke you said that there weren't any students working there after school. it was why i picked that to volunteer specifically, despite the.. children." she exhaled as ms. lightfoot started typing on her computer.

tucking some hair behind her ear, ms. lightfoot finally addressed octavia's concerns, "ms. sawyer. has it ever occurred to you that i don't know every aspect of all 1009 students in this school's lives?"

octavia's eyes innocently wandered the room before meeting hers, "ugh, don't you guys like keep track of student volunteers or something."

"it's like i said." ms. lightfoot said before clearing her throat, "now could you please let me eat my lunch alone."

a.n. not even gonna comment on my inactivity i lowkey thought i would never update again but 🫣