NEW BEGINNING

I sat near my window gazing out. "Rajkumari. Maharaj wants to meet you in Mayur garden." I sighed and fixed my attire to meet him. Opting for a pale yellow dress I walked down the path of Mayur garden trying to control my growing anger towards the person who is more than half response for our condition in my last life. "Maharaj" I greeted him controllimg my emotions and expression. Trying to suppress the coldness in my voice with fearlessness because I don't think I can ever respect him ever. He stood his hair and cloths perfectly styled with a stotic expression. A perfect king but worest father.

"How are you my dear ?" He asked looking towards me. With a smile on his face. If not for that evil Chanchala we both will be close. If I still remember correctly she used this opportunity to lock me in my palace for nearly 6 months. Saying I need time to heal myself and fed my father some other bullshit about me being a young girl. "By god's grace I am fine father. But I have a wish I hope you will accept it." I said bowing infront of my father not that he deserved it. "There is no need for you to bow my dear. You are Yurani. Come sit with me." I gracefully got up and sat on next bench from his trying not to strangle him.

"Ask what you want to ask. I will grant it if I think it is right." He said instantly sliping into the role of King. What a hypocrite I thought. "Father when I am recovering from injuries which I got when my carriage overturned." He flinched when I told him my carriage overturned. I am damn sure that bitch didn't told him. "I had a reoccurring thought that I want to help our subjects. As Yurani I have some responsibilities for my subjects. Your highness I want to attend imperial court to hone my skills. I don't want to bring shame to my family. I don't want the people to gossip that I am a useless and good-for-nothing. So father can you please give me right to attend and speak in court as my birthday gift." I stated without a giving away my intentions. He looked deep in thought. Step one sucessful I thought mentally.

"Ok. You are allowed to attend and speak in court but on one condition." He said looking into my eyes. "You will have to work as attendent for imperial healer. I am not taking away your status but you will have to work hard." I mentally praised myself. "It will be my luck to work under imperial healer Maharaj." I said bending and touching his feets. He patted my head and said "Follow me to imperial healer right now. I can introduce him to you." I took a sign of relief and looked at the sun as if he is giving me some type of momentary energy.

I got up and followed him through the corridors. They are beautifully carved. Each one is a fruit of painstaking hardwork and dedication of decades making it one of the most strategical and strongest fort in Devgiri. All officials and ministers walked away as they saw us approaching. I held my head high. Soon we are infront of the oddly bright building hosting the inflimatry . Maha Mantri bowed to us as I took in his looks. All my doubts cleared when I saw maids hurrying to and fro carring hot water and linen clothes. I frowned. His wife's due date is not until next month. It means she went into a early labour. "Where is imperial healer ?" My father shouted at the midwife as if he hadn't killed him in my last life. "Your highness he is sent to city outskirts to treat the soilders. Who are injured by mob." She answered shaking badly. "I am afraid the child will not be able to make it."

I looked towards Maha Mantri's face sorrow was evident on it. They had already lost three babies but due to his devotion towards his wife he never remarried. I can see sadness on my father's face through his hard emotionless fasid. He loved the minister like his small brother. I took a small breath and said. "Your Majesty can I have a look at her condition. I have read few books on medicine. May be I can delay the condition from woresning." I waited patiently for the answer. I may know a thing or two about medicine from my past life but not much. "Are you sure Princess Alekhya ?" Maha Mantri asked his voice betraying him. "We can just hope for good." I said trying to comfort him although social skills can be measured in negatives."You can go inside Alekhya but you don't have to blame yourself. Life and death is not in your hand." He said. Without looking back I bolted inside.

Lady Sulochana was thrashing wildly on bed clenching her stomach. Her pain filled screams filled the room. I looked towards her to find her bleeding. There is no way we can delay this further. "Please listen to me your highness Sulochana you just have to push the bady." The midwife said from her spot near the end of bed. I caught her hands as she began to push it out. But she blacked out due to pain. My brain is running wild searching for the ideas to save her. "Go get me hot water, scissors, a cotton thread used for stitching wounds and a needle also a bottle of alcohol, scaple, knife, anesthesia and a candle flame." The midwives stood there without moving. "I will put a death order if you won't get this things now." They scrambled for getting the things I mentioned. Probably wondering how a timid princess became this dominating. I will deal with that later now I have a life to save. I quickly removed all of my jewellery and tied back my chunri. So they won't hinder my work.

I took the scissors and cut the clothes covering Lady Sulochana's lower abdomen. I carefully cut through the first layer of skin and then tissues. I heard a high pitched shrieked behind my back but I continued my work. I had read about this process in one of my mother's book when I was under house arrest in my past life. But it is first time I am performing it. I hope all goes well. As soon as I cut open her uterus I extracted the babies out. I saw a musculine hand cutting the umberical cord. I soon stitched all the layers back and took her pulse. It is faint but it is there. "She had lost a lot of blood. Give her something to replenish it. She will live Yurani." I heard imperial healer's voice near me. It is too soft off course he will not like to desturb the patient. He motioned me to follow out of the room. I saw that Maha Mantri and my father smiling at the two babies. Alas there is no one to look at me with such adoration. It was the last thing I saw before world went black.

I was woken up by hushed voices but I kept my eyes closed as I listen them discussing about me. "When will she wake up ?" My father asked he seemed worried genuinely. "Sorry Maharaj. I have no idea." Imperial healer said in a guilty voice. "But why did Yurani fainted in first place. She is fine just a minute ago ?" It was Maha Mantri. I sighed inwardly. He should be worried about his wife not about me. "It seems to be fatigue. But..." He trailed off.
"But what healer ?" My father sounded angry now. "Sorry Your Highness. But I found traces of poison in her bloodstream." I got confused in my past life there is really a case of me being poisoned but it's not till late. Something about my expression must have betrayed me because my father said them all to talk in his palace. I felt my eyelids grow heavy and lost my self to darkness.

Maharaj Arun

I furiously paced in my room at the thought of someone poisoning Alekhya. As per the imperial healer told the poison is not life threatening but can damage one's health. What more infulrated me that her carriage overturned and no one told me about that. No one. According to Vijay he had no knowledge about this matter. "You should agree to her wish Maharaj. That way you can keep an eye on her well being without raising any suspicion. Also I will ask around the capital about the rumors." Vijay had said after I told him about the incident. He is correct. I must choose my next step so that it will not raise any suspicion. On Vijay's advice this matter is kept between me and him.

We are absolutely forbid to tell others. I looked from my window to the garden. I can still remember Bhumi sitting there singing melodies. Her last wish on her deathbed was to take care of Alekhya. I will not fail her. But who will poison her in palace right under our noses.