Chapter 48 Intruder

OK, so this is the re written chapter I lost.  I'm too sleepy to correct it properly so I'll do that tomorrow.  Enjoy peoples.

Paul came crashing into Damien's bedroom unannounced. It was 5 a.m. Damien who had been sound asleep sat bolt upright in his bed, blurry-eyed and startled. The PA strode to his bed, phone in hand, looking so unlike his usual restrained self that Damien did a double take. His hair looked as if he'd been running his hands through it and his tie was loose around his neck. His face...he was clearly scared. He thrust the phone in Damien's face. Still blurry eyed it took a moment for him to focus on the image. It was a BREAKING NEWS report. Paul pushed into his face a bit closer, growling as he did so. Damien stared at him, he'd never seen The PA like this, for a moment he wondered if the pack was under attack. Finally, he had his full attention.

He took the phone from the PA and started reading. His eyes widened as he read and his face grew hard, his jaw twitching and his forehead turning down into a menacing glare. His fangs dropped and his eyes started to glow, then blaze until they were golden and sparks exploded in his irises. Damien howled, shaking the room and making Paul cover his ears and howl automatically in response to his Alpha. He jumped back when Damien's wolf leapt and sprang off the bed stalking towards him. Baring its teeth, its hackles raised. Then it stopped and shook its huge head and body and Damien came back sitting naked and trembling on the floor.

He looked up at Paul. "How could this happen?" Paul was shaken himself but he'd had a little more time to process the information.

......

9 NEWS UPDATE  "Police were called to a house in suburban ...in the early hours of this morning. A man was stabbed to death and another is missing after what appears to be a vicious, well-planned home invasion that has shocked neighbours. The Police have not yet released the name of the victim. Two males lived in the house, as well as the father of the deceased who lived in an annex at the back of the premises. The residents appear to have been asleep inside the house when an intruder broke in. The deceased received a single stab wound to the chest which proved to be fatal according to Victoria Police. Paramedics were called to the scene at about 2.40 am but the victim of the stabbing was pronounced dead at the scene. The dead man's father witnessed his son's housemate forcefully taken from the premises by a single intruder. At this stage, Police investigations have not ruled out more than one assailant. The second man has not been seen or heard from since being taken away. Police are checking CCTV from surrounding homes for information. At this stage, the Police have no idea why the men were targeted....."

An hour later Damien had composed himself and sat at his desk with The PA beside him. He too had reigned in his emotions, collecting himself by preening his appearance. As if having his tie nestling neatly in the collar of his crisp white shirt, his hair perfectly combed back and his jacket buttoned securely brought the world under control. The PA brought Damien up to date on the incident. This included having to mention the call he had had with Virgil the day prior.

"He called me to thank me for the pelt trap I sent him." Damien interrupted. "Have you two spoken since he left?" Paul ignored the question. "He was excited because he had met the first Lycan since moving to the city. I thought it was odd at the time but I just let it go. He was really happy about it. Surely that can't be a coincidence. He meets not just a werewolf but a Lycan after all that time and the next day he is kidnapped by one."

Damien had to agree. He brought his thoughts back to what was important rather than dwelling on the fact that Paul and Virgil were friends. It was definitely a lead to follow. While they were discussing different options, they received a copy of the police report. Thanks to some connections, manoeuvrings and bribes The PA managed to acquire a copy of the police report of the crime to date. Unfortunately, as horrifying as the TV News report had been the reality was worse.