Choose

At some point I'd passed out, laying there amongst the dead leaves. I opened my eyes and the first thing I noticed was how dark it was. My phone was back in my car so I had no way to check the time. I slowly sat up as the events that took place earlier today came rushing back into my mind. It was dark out when I heard the news about my dad since it had been around 4:30am when the nurse told us. The sun was just starting to rise when I had reached the forest and when I tripped the sky was bright. I'm not sure when I passed out or how long I was out for, I only know that it was now dark once again.

I breathed in and took my hands out of the dirt. I was able to sit up and get onto my knees before the pain actually affected me. There was a horrible ache in my calves. I have no clue how far I ran or where the hell I was. I pushed through the pain as I stood up. As soon as my legs were fully extended I took a step and almost fell again before grabbing onto a tree. My first couple steps went the same but by the fourth step I managed to gain control of my jello like legs. I followed the direction of dim lights and eventually made it out of the woods and on to the cul-de-sac of the neighborhood I believed I had never seen before. It wasn't until I kept walking and came across a baby blue house with white trim and a black door that I realized I had been down this street; it was Aydrian's street. I walked up to the door and knocked on it without thinking about the possibility of someone else answering. Luckily the universe didn't completely hate me and Aydrian was the one to answer the door.

"Jayce?" She took in my current state. "You're a mess."

She stepped outside and closed the door behind her.

"Wow, thanks Aydrian. You know what, this was a mistake," I replied as I turned to leave.

"You know that's not what I meant," she whispered.

"Okay, so what did you mean? Because you've been saying some things that 'aren't really what you mean' recently," I said.

"Jayce," she started.

I turned around to face her again. "No, you don't get to 'Jayce' me. If that's not what you meant then tell me what you did mean because I would love to know." Each word I said dripped with sarcasm.

"What is wrong with you?" She asked.

"What do you mean what's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" I replied as I raised my voice.

"I meant that you look tired," she answered my original question.

I snorted.

"What?" She questioned.

"You always look tired," I said.

"Jeez, thanks Jayce," she said before adding, "you just don't get it do you. You have no idea what it's like for me."

I sarcastically responded. "Oh huff and puff and blow my house down already. Your life is so hard, living in this fancy neighborhood with a good family."

This time she yelled at me. "What the hell Jayce? Both my parents are dead. Did you hear me? Dead! I don't need you walking over here and knocking on my door just for you to tell me how perfect my life is when you don't live it. I do and it's not perfect so don't tell me it is. You have both your parents and you are so ungrateful for that, you just don't get what it's like to lose a parent for good."

Her face was bright red. I could almost see the steam coming out of her ears and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh my goodness. Of course," she threw her hands in the air. "Of course you think this is funny."

"Aydrian. My dad just died so yes, I do know what it's like to lose a parent for good." I stopped laughing as tears began to pool in my eyes.

Aydrian put her hands over her mouth; maybe in shock or maybe to stop herself from saying something else. Her eyes got soft and she looked at me sympathetically. I tried so hard to keep it in but I couldn't help it and I fell onto my knees, letting the tears escape the prison of my eyes. Aydrian dropped to her knees in front of me and wrapped her arms around me. I let her hold me as I cried, more than I've cried in a long time.

"I'm so sorry," Aydrian whispered in my ear and she rubbed my back and ran a hand through my hair. The gesture slowed the stream of tears and I eased my way out of her grasp.

"I need to go. I'm sorry," I said standing up.

"No, stay. I won't let you drive like..." she paused. " Wait, how did you get here?"

"I ran."

"From Valley hospital?" She asked.

"Yeah."

Aydrian slapped my arm. "Jayce, that is eight miles away, what were you thinking?"

I rubbed my arm where she slapped me and she quickly apologized. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to slap you I just-"

I stopped her rambling, "it's okay, just a bit sore now. Besides, if you take the bus to see me can't I run to see you?"

I smiled at her and she returned the smile back to me. We were both smiling at each other when my body betrayed me and I started to lean in. Aydrian backed up. She tried brushing it off by opening the door and inviting me in but I couldn't accept the invitation.

"No. I'm fine. I'll get out of your hair," I responded as I backed up feeling like a complete idiot.

"Jayce, please. I'm not letting you walk home. You can either take the easy way and follow me or the hard way where I drag you across the floor into the house. What's it gonna be, easy or hard? Choose," she said as she crossed her arms and leaned her back against the door frame.

"Hm, I like this bossy side beautiful. It's cute," I said as I winked at her and walked past her into the house.