THIRTY SIX

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

I am not sure how everything can be so perfect yet so painful at the same time

When the person you're meant to spend the rest of your life with has been living right under your nose this whole time, yet I was too blinded to see the signs.

Cleo's body lay between my arms, watching as the curse lifts from her whilst Pandora takes her last breath. Having stumbled to the floor, clutching her neck as blood pours from her wound endlessly.

Dust-like powder pulls from Cleo's body and disperses into the air, her pitch black hair restoring to a light chestnut brown. Her midnight eyes moulding into a beautiful green and her pale skin changing to a natural bronzed glow.

The curse had completely changed her appearance and I had no idea.

This is what Cleo looks like. This is what she has always looked like.

Her skin pressed up against mine felt like a dream, the goosebumps that erupted across my body as she lifts her weak hand to press against my cheek. Tears gathering in her eyes as she flicks them over my appearance. Both of us drinking in the feeling of our glowing mate bond, unaware that it could make me feel this whole.

Time slowed down, so slow that I thought it actually paused for a second because looking at her stopped the world completely. Here she was, lying vulnerable in my arms, thinking I was about to lose her forever.

My wolf howls inside of me like a restless beast, desperate to take control and save our mate. But I was in shock, pure and utter shock. My arms fell numb and my eyes leaked agonising tears.

This beauty between my arms is my mate and I had no fucking clue.

How could I not know?

That's what hurt the most. How could I not fucking know?

When I think about it, it's obvious. Not being able to stay away from each other, crawling our way back to each other after our petty arguments and heated nights. The fact I couldn't keep my mind off her for longer than two damn seconds.

Then her eyes start to close for the last time and I shake her between my arms, not realising tears had dribbled down my face and onto her chest.

"Cleo?!" I shout as her body falls limp. "Someone fucking help me!"

My teeth begin to grit as I look down to her lifeless body, moving my hands to her neck to try and feel a pulse. But that was it, her body was already turning cold.

I choke back a sob as I hold her closer to my heart, my wolf thrashing inside of me to do something. My lips press a kiss to her temple as I cradle her tightly, not wanting to let go. "Please don't leave me when I've just found you," I whisper against her skin. "This can't be the end."