Chapter 13

Ella and I haven't really spoken since coffee a few months ago. We send the occasional text 'trying' to set up plans but one of us inevitably cancels.

I also have to stop myself from walking to Tenya's house at least twice a week.

Ella and Tenya make headlines for being the 'perfect couple' and each time I see it, I have to resist smashing my phone. Clearly she talked her way out of it and for all I know she has stopped fucking her side piece.

Martac and I are keeping busy with daily jobs now that there's no snow to give away our position and numbers. We go from job to job and work every day. Martac and Chris are on another break, that we're not going to talk about, and Martac controls the schedule so we're doing at least three jobs a day. They're all quick and highly vetted since my big mistake where I almost got arrested.

We're on the last job of the day at another private residence when my phone buzzes in my pocket.

I'm shocked to find Ella's name on the screen "hello?"

"Y/n, thank god you answered" she sounds desperate.

"Are you okay?" I ask, stepping away from the group for a little more privacy. Martac eyes me as the rest rummage through drawers and jewelry.

"Tensei called and told me that Tenya's in trouble." My heart plummets "I can't just sit here alone. Are you busy? Can you come over and wait with me?"

"Where is he?" She tells me what Tensei told her, including the location and that he's been there for hours already.

"There are people keeping him from leaving. I'm so worried that I'm going to lose him."

"Good thing you have something on the side anyway" I snip. There's silence on the other end "sorry. I didn't mean to say that. Now isn't the time to talk about it."

"No. It's not." Her voice takes on a cold tone. "I shouldn't have called." She hangs up and I take off at a sprint.

He's being held about a mile from me and as much as I hate exercise, it's necessary in this instance. I text Martac as I run, it's riddle with typos but it's good enough.

I can't get near the scene with all the people and the barricades in my way. I luck out with a fire escape nearby and climb onto the roof of the building next door.

From my new vantage point, I can see a flurry of heroes outside. Most are pacing anxiously since it seems there's nothing they can do. I can't see the front of the building, but I assume that there are villains guarding the door and all other entry points are locked up tight. As long as they're not physically sealed, that's not a problem for me. I can even see a man in a wheel chair barking orders from behind the police barricade.

I call Tensei.

"Can't talk right now." He answers curtly.

"Look up and to the left" I answer before he can take his phone away from his ear and he does as I ask, spotting me immediately. "What's the situation?"

"Tenya is locked up. Their demands are to let them walk away with their treasure and they'll let him go. He's alive. For now."

"Can I help?"

"Not exactly your M.O."

"I'm going to let your attitude go because you're obviously worried about your brother." I reply, hoping he'll get to the root of the issue soon.

"We've been trying to get in, but we think one of their quirks is designed to keep people out." I can see him run a hand through his hair from here, and based on how it sticks up everywhere, it's not the first time.